Weekend Breakfast Burritos are a hearty meal. We have them more often as dinner than as breakfast. They are full of scrambled eggs, hash browns, ham, cheese and onions. Then, they are topped with more cheese and baked. Yum!
We sometimes serve the burritos with a side of salsa. Lately, our favorite salsa is Weis Salsa Peach Mango. It adds a light flavor to the burritos. You can serve the burritos with your favorite salsa or without salsa.
You can make your breakfast burritos with different fillings. For example, you can use Canadian bacon, sausage or crumbled bacon instead of, or in addition to, the ham. You can add green peppers or tomatoes, too. Get creative!
It takes some practice to roll a burrito properly. I'm still practicing! I've seen a few different techniques. First, place the filling in the center of a burrito size flour tortilla then take one side and fold over top of the filling and tuck it under the filling. Next, fold the sides over the filling. The sides will partially cover the filling. Finally, roll the burritos over so that the tortilla is completely rolled over the burrito. Finally, place the burrito seam side down in the prepared baking dish.
Once all of the burritos are made, top with any remaining cheese and bake for a few minutes until the cheese is melted. Serve immediately. Any leftover burritos can be frozen for later. I defrost frozen burritos in the refrigerator overnight then reheat them in the microwave covered with a damp towel.
Another hearty breakfast that is quick and easy to prepare is TexMex Frittatas. The burrito filling has similar ingredients but frittatas are baked in a muffin tin and do not use tortillas.
I hope you enjoy Weekend Breakfast Burritos.
Weekend Breakfast Burritos
- 4 cups hash browns, shredded and frozen
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 5 tablespoons vegan butter, divided
- 8 jumbo eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups ham, diced You can use Canadian bacon.
- 8 tortillas, burrito size
- 2 cups Mexican Cheese Blend, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Lightly spray one or two baking dishes with cooking spray. I need two because all of the burritos won't fit in one of my baking dishes.
- Melt 2-3 tablespoons of the vegan butter in a large skillet over medium-heat.
- Heat the hash browns, onions and garlic until cooked through.
- Remove from the skillet, set aside and keep warm.
- Beat the eggs until blended.
- Melt the 1-2 tablespoons of vegan butter in the skillet.
- Add the eggs, pepper and ham.
- Scramble the eggs until done.
- Remove the egg mixture from the heat.
- Lay a flour tortilla on a large plate or cutting board.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup of the egg mixture onto the center of each tortilla.
- Top with about two tablespoons of the potato mixture.
- Then, top with about two tablespoons of cheese.
- Roll up each tortilla tightly. Start by rolling one side of the tortilla tightly over the egg mixture.
- Fold in the sides of the tortilla.
- Then, roll the rest of the tortilla until completely rolled up.
- Place, seam side down in a prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over tortillas.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve hot. Top with salsa or sour cream, if desired.