This turkey quesadilla recipe makes a warm, crispy flour tortilla filled with turkey and melted cheese. I prefer hot foods, so a turkey quesadilla is a perfect lunch for me. It is easy and quick to prepare. The time the quesadilla spends in the skillet melts the cheese, warms the turkey and makes the tortilla a little crispy. You can garnish with sour cream, salsa or avocado, or whatever makes you happy.
The quesadilla is layers of a flour tortilla, cheese, turkey, more cheese and another flour tortilla. It is then sautéed in an oil and butter mixture. I don't think it could get much simpler or faster. We mix the oil and butter because oil keeps the butter from browning but still gives the tortilla a buttery flavor.
I prefer smoked turkey because I prefer the smokey flavor in the quesadilla. You could use your favorite flavor of turkey. Honey cured turkey is also good in the turkey quesadilla.
Shaved or thin sliced turkey works well in the quesadilla. The thin slices warm better than thicker sliced turkey.
Mexican cheese blend is my "go to" cheese. I love the blend of flavors. You can use your favorite type of cheese.
I hope you enjoy the Turkey Quesadilla!
- 12 slices Smoked Turkey Lunch Meat, shaved If you used sliced turkey, reduce to 6 slices.
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mexican cheese
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons sour cream, optional
- 4 tablespoons salsa, optional
- Put one tortilla on a plate.
- Sprinkle about 1/4 of the cheese on the tortilla.
- Put 1/2 the turkey on top of the cheese.
- Sprinkle about 1/4 of the cheese on top of the turkey.
- Put one tortilla on top of the cheese.
- Repeat for the other quesadilla.
- Put 1/2 of the butter and 1/2 of the oil in a large skillet, heat over medium-heat until butter is melted.
- Put one quesadilla in the skillet and saute until the bottom tortilla is browned, 3-5 minutes.
- Flip quesadilla over and saute until the other tortilla is browned. This step usually is faster, 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from skillet and put on a plate.
- Add more butter and oil to the skillet, if needed. Saute the other quesadilla in the same manner.
- Cut the quesadillas into quarters and garnish with sour cream and/or salsa. Enjoy!
Last updated on August 15th, 2019