Tandoori Shrimp are marinated in a spicy yogurt-based marinade. The shrimp have a hint of lemon flavor blended with the smoky flavors of the curry and turmeric. They are delicious!
In India, Tandoor cooking is done in a clay barbecue pit. Foods are cooked with a high heat which gives them a distinctive flavor. To reproduce the high heat at home, you can cook the shrimp on skewers over a grill or roast them in the oven. When grilling the shrimp, the heat intensifies the flavors of the marinade. Tandoori shrimp are packed with flavor.
If you like the flavors of tandoori cooking, but prefer to not grill the shrimp, you can sauté the shrimp in a skillet with a little oil. The flavors will still be good, but won’t be as intense as if they are grilled. Grilling the shrimp will give you a dryer coating on the shrimp, while sautéing will give you a moist coating on the shrimp. I have cooked the shrimp on an indoor electric grill as well as sautéed them in a skillet. Both ways are delicious!
So that this dish is dairy-free, I use Non-Fat Plain Greek Yogurt in the marinade. If you are not concerned with a dairy-free dish, you can use any plain yogurt.
Shrimp is one of my favorite foods, which is probably evident by the number of shrimp recipes on my site.
I hope you enjoy the Tandoori Shrimp!
- 1/3 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 pound extra large shrimp 30-40 extra-large shrimp to a pound
- Mix together all marinade ingredients in a bowl large enough to hold all of the shrimp. Let rest 10-15 minutes.
- Add shrimp and stir to coat. Cover and let rest 15 minutes on the counter or up to 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Remove shrimp from the marinade.
- Put the shrimp on the skewers.
- Lightly spray the grill with cooking oil, before the grill is turned on.
- Heat the grill. Once hot, place the skewers on the grill.
- Let the shrimp grill for 5 or so minutes, then turn over and continue to grill until done.
- Serve the shrimp on a bed of rice either on or off of the skewers.