Sugared Nuts and Pretzels is a lightly sugared, crunchy appetizer that is quick and easy to make. It can be made a day or two ahead of an event, too. The light sugar syrup causes the sesame seeds to stick to the nuts and pretzels. I love the flavor of sesame, so getting sesame in every bite makes this a tasty appetizer or snack for me.
I found this recipe when I was looking for appetizers that could be made ahead of time so that I could free up some time on the day of the family get together. I found a Gingered Nuts recipe on the Martha Stewart site. My Mom loves ginger candy, so I this recipe was a good one to try. I altered the recipe slightly to put my own spin on it.
This dish has been a hit every time that I made it! Leftovers were gladly taken home by our guests. I like a family gathering where my family takes home doggie bags! I use lightly salted nuts and salted pretzels, so I don't add salt to the mix. If you are using unsalted nuts, you may want to add a little salt to the mix. This is a good recipe to share with friends and family at a party or to make for yourself and keep as a snack, or pack in your lunch.
I hope you enjoy it!
Sugared Nuts and Pretzels Snack Mix
- 3 cups mixed nuts
- 2 cups pretzels
- 1/4 cup candied ginder
- 1 tablespoon garlic-pepper seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, combine the nuts, pretzels, candied ginger, garlic-pepper, cayenne pepper, black pepper and sesame seeds. Toss to mix.
- Heat the water until it is just starting to boil.
- Carefully, add the sugar to the water and stir until dissolved.
- Pour sugar syrup over the nut mixture. Toss to combine.
- Pour mixture onto a large, greased baking sheet, Using a large spoon, spread the mixture evenly and in a singe-layer.
- Bake until the nuts are golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Using a spatula, gently loosen the mix from the baking sheet.
- Break into bite-size pieces.