Steamed Frozen Vegetables are a quick and easy side dish to make. The vegetables are steamed with chicken stock and garlic instead of water which adds a mild flavor to the vegetables. Once the vegetables are steamed, salt and pepper to taste.
Sometimes I steam a vegetable blend, like broccoli, cauliflower and carrots. Other times I steam just one vegetable, such as broccoli.
I usually buy fresh broccoli, carrots, cauliflower and corn then blanch and freeze them as individual servings. Each vegetable is packaged by itself, so that I have the option of preparing just one vegetable, or a blend of vegetables. It works out well for us. Because I'm not a fan of broccoli, I can prepare just one serving of broccoli for Jeff. Jeff isn't a fan of cauliflower, so I can prepare just one serving of cauliflower for me.
I usually thaw the vegetables before preparing them. But, with this recipe, the vegetables go from freezer to the steamer. The steamer thaws and warms the vegetables.
We have a Black & Decker Food Steamer that I use most of the time when steaming vegetables. I like it because it has a timer to set for steaming. You can put the food in the steamer, set the timer and focus on the rest of the meal. My steamer has suggested steam times for various foods. The steamer suggests using white wine, lemon juice or broth added to the water to enhance the food flavor. This steamer also has a flavor scenter screen to place herbs and spices to add flavor to the food.
When steaming the vegetables, I use chicken stock that I make, but you could use a prepackaged chicken stock. If you don't want to use chicken stock, you can dissolve chicken bouillon in water.
I have leftover chicken bouillon packages from making the Napa Cabbage Salad recipe. The salad recipe uses the noodles but not the bouillon packages, so I save the bouillon for use in other dishes. The flavor with chicken stock is stronger than with the bouillon, but both are good.
I hope you enjoy Steamed Frozen Vegetables!
Steamed Frozen Vegetables
- 2 cups frozen vegetables I used a mix of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots.
- 1 quart chicken broth or 1 quart water and 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Place chicken broth and garlic in your steamer. If you are using a saucepan with a steamer basket, place the chicken broth and garlic in your saucepan then place your steamer basket in the saucepan.
- Add the frozen vegetables to the steamer basket.
- Allow to steam until the vegetables are completely warmed. In my steamer, it takes about 15 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables from the steamer basket.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.