Spiced Apple Walnut Bread is a moist quick bread full of nuts. The cinnamon and nutmeg give the bread flavors that are reminiscent of autumn but the bread is good served anytime.
This bread is good served as a breakfast treat, a snack or a brunch buffet. I store the loaf in the refrigerator wrapped in wax paper then foil. If you won't be eating the loaf within five or so days, you can freeze the entire loaf or slices of the quick bread.
I use walnuts from Sunnyland Farms. I purchase in pecans, walnuts and other nuts in bulk from Sunnyland Farms and keep them in the freezer until needed.
Several years ago, a colleague gave me this quick bread recipe and several other quick bread recipes, such as the Chocolate Nut and Date Bread.
I hope you enjoy the Spiced Apple Walnut Bread!
Spiced Apple Walnut Bread
- 1 cup apples, shredded
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 jumbo eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Lightly spray a 9x5 loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Wash, peel and shred the apple then place it in a large bowl.
- Add the vegetable oil, yogurt, eggs and vanilla to the apple then whisk together.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, walnuts, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, nutmeg and ginger.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Pour batter into the loaf pan.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes or until a pick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let cool for about one hour then remove from the loaf pan and cool completely on a rack.