Smoked Chicken Breast is tender and juicy with a rustic flavor. The chicken absorbs the smokey flavor of the wood chips. The spice rub adds a peppery flavor and the glaze adds sweetness. So good! I like the flavor of smoked meats. I've smoked chicken, shrimp and salmon using hickory wood chips. I like to use hickory wood chips because they add a rustic flavor to the meat you are smoking.
This recipe requires you to plan ahead a little so that you have time to brine the chicken. The chicken breast should be in the brine for at least one hour or up to overnight. The brine moisturizes and tenderizes the chicken breast. Rinse the chicken in cold water after removing it from the brine, otherwise the chicken will be salty. Next, rub both sides of the chicken breast with the spice blend, then place it in a smoker. Baste the chicken with the sauce part way through the smoking process. Spread any leftover sauce on the chicken after it is cooked. This recipe can be used on other parts of the chicken, such as thighs and legs, too.
I found this recipe on the Meat Eating Military Man site. I altered the sauce slightly so that it is dairy-free. You can use butter instead of vegan butter if you are not concerned with being dairy-free. I also use a stove top smoker as opposed to a stand alone smoker that allows you to set a temperature. It takes about 45 minutes to smoke two chicken breasts in my Mini Stovetop Smoker.
I like to serve this dish with applesauce, basmati rice and some vegetables. Choose vegetables that are cooling and are not prepared with extra sweetness, like steamed carrots or broccoli. The sauce for the chicken is sweet, so pairing with a sweet side dish, like glazed carrots, is too much sweetness on your plate.
If you have any leftovers, the chicken will reheat well in the microwave. These leftovers are a yummy lunch for my husband.
I hope you enjoy the Smoked Chicken Breast!
Smoked Chicken Breast
- 1 quart water
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon rub mixture (See above)
- Mix the water, salt, sugar and soy sauce in a large bowl.
- Add the chicken breasts.
- Cover and refrigerate at least one hour or up to overnight.
- Mix the Rub ingredients together then set aside.
- Mix the Sauce ingredients together then set aside.
Smoking the Chicken
- When ready to prepare the chicken, remove it from the brine then rinse the chicken breasts with water.
- Rub both sides of the chicken with the Rub then place in the smoker.
- Smoke the chicken for about 20 minutes.
- Baste the chicken with the sauce.
- Smoke the chicken for another 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Last updated on August 15th, 2019