Shrimp Scampi is buttery shrimp with lots of garlic flavor. It's a quick and easy dish to make. When ordering this dish at a restaurant, you might think that it is a bit difficult to make. The buttery garlic flavor with undertones of wine give this dish a bit of elegance.
Shrimp is sauteed in a garlic butter sauce. Once the shrimp is done, white wine, lemon juice and lemon zest are added. The shrimp, along with the sauce can be served over pasta, rice or bread.
I use white cooking wine but you could use your favorite white wine or chicken broth, if you prefer. The richness of the chicken broth makes it a good alternative to white wine.
Another skillet prepared shrimp dish that is quick and easy is Shrimp Etouffee. The etouffee recipe uses cream of chicken soup instead of making a roux from scratch. I love this dish served over rice.
I hope you enjoy the Shrimp Scampi!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined If you are using frozen shrimp, be sure to thaw them first.
- ¼ cup white cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- Heat the butter and oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic then cook for 2-3 minutes or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the shrimp then cook for 2-3 minutes per side, or until the shrimp is opaque.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the skillet from the heat then add the wine, parsley, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Serve the shrimp with some of the buttery sauce left in the pan.