Schoolday Gems are a yellow cupcake topped with a cinnamon-sugar-nut mixture. These cupcakes remind me of individual coffee cakes from my childhood. The cupcake is moist and light. The topping gives it a sweet, cinnamon flavor.
In order to make the recipe dairy-free, I substitute vegan butter for the butter and soy milk for the milk. If you are not concerned with making a dairy-free cupcake, then you can use butter and milk.
When baking with cold items, like eggs or milk, unless the recipe specifically states it, I always let the ingredients come to room temperature before starting the recipe. I take the cold ingredients out of the refrigerator 30 or so minutes before I am planning on baking because room temperature ingredients mix more evenly with the other ingredients.
I use chopped pecans or walnut when making Schoolday Gems. They would probably be good with chopped peanuts, too.
I hope you enjoy Schoolday Gems!
- 1/2 cup vegan butter Vegan butter should be at room temperature.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 jumbo eggs Eggs should be at room temperature.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup soy milk Soy Milk should be at room temperature.
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/3 cup pecans, chopped or walnuts or peanuts
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Place cupcake liners into muffin tins. Set aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixture, cream the vegan butter and sugar.
- Add eggs to sugar mixture one at a time. Blend well after each addition.
- Add vanilla to sugar mixture.
- Alternate adding the flour mixture and the milk, blending well after each addition.
- Fill the muffin cups 3/4 full with the batter.
- Top with about 1 1/2 teaspoons of the topping.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes in a preheated oven. A pick inserted into the center should come out clean.
- Let rest for about 5-minutes then remove the cupcakes from the muffin tin and allow to cool before serving. I used a knife to gently lift each cupcake from the muffin tin.