Roasted Red Potatoes are a flavorful side dish. Red Potatoes are tossed in an oil and spice blend then roasted in the oven until they are lightly browned on the outside and soft on the inside.
Red potatoes stay firm while cooking. The skin is thin, so it adds color and texture to your dishes. Depending on the size of your red potatoes, you can cut them in half or quarter them before roasting.
This dish is roasted in the oven. When I think of cooking in the oven, I think of "baking". What's the difference in roasting and baking, you might ask? Both baking and roasting are forms of dry-heat cooking, which uses dry air to cook food.
Roasting is a higher temperature, at least 400F and it creates a browned crust on the outside of the food being cooked, which gives it a lot of flavor. Roasting is usually done in an uncovered pan.
Baking is done at lower temperatures, 375F or less. It can be done in a covered or uncovered pan.
If you like roasted potatoes, check out Roasted Maple Cinnamon Sweet Potatoes. They are also browned on the outside and soft inside. The sweet potatoes gives them a little sweetness.
I hope you enjoy the Roasted Red Potatoes!
Roasted Red Potatoes
- 3 pounds red potatoes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and Italian Seasoning. Set aside.
- Wash the potatoes then pat them dry.
- Cut the potatoes in half or in quarters then place them in the bowl with the olive oil and spice mixture. Toss to coat.
- Place the potatoes on a sheet pan in a single layer.
- Roast in the oven for 45 minutes to one hour or until browned. Flip the potatoes after 30-minutes and 45-minutes of cooking so that the potatoes brown evenly.
- Serve hot.