Pumpkin-Curry Chicken over Cashew Rice is a flavorful meal. The moist and tender chicken is topped with a sauce that has a nice blending of pumpkin and curry flavors. The chicken and sauce are served over the cashew rice. The cashews give the rice a crunch. It's a satisfying and filling meal.
I wanted to try a recipe with chicken and pumpkin, so I did some searching and found this recipe on the Taste of Home site. It sounded good, so I thought I'd try it.
I slightly altered the original recipe. The original recipe calls for jasmine rice, but we prefer basmati rice so we use basmati instead. I also omitted the raisins and used minced garlic instead of a garlic clove.
Pumpkin-Curry Chicken over Cashew Rice does well being reheated as leftovers. I've frozen a few servings for lunches and the frozen servings defrost and reheat well, too.
If you like curry and chicken, check out my Curried Chicken recipe. There is no pumpkin in the Curried Chicken recipe.
I hope you enjoy the Pumpkin-Curry Chicken over Cashew Rice!
Pumpkin Curry Chicken with Cashew Rice
- 2 cups basmati rice or your favorite rice
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 teaspoons curry powder, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup raisins Optional. I omit.
- 1/4 cup apple butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/3 cup cashews, toasted and chopped
- Cook the rice according to package directions.
- While the rice is cooking, sprinkle the cut-up chicken with about 1 teaspoon of the curry powder and the pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat oil then saute the chicken until it is no longer pink.
- Add the garlic to the skillet and cook for about one more minute.
- Next, add the pumpkin, broth, apple butter, five-spice powder, remaining curry powder and the raisins (if using).
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 5-7 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
- Add the cashews to the cooked rice.
- Serve the chicken over the rice.