Pulled Chicken Sandwich is a tangy chicken sandwich. Shredded chicken is mixed with a tangy sauce, similar to a barbecue sauce, then served hot on a bun. The chicken is tender and the sauce brings lots of flavor.
I had leftover chicken after making chicken stock, so I thought I would make pulled chicken. My husband, Jeff, likes pulled pork sandwiches, so, I thought he'd probably like a pulled chicken sandwich. I was right! He did like it!
After doing some searching, I found a Pulled Chicken Sandwich recipe on the My Recipes site. The original recipe includes grilling chicken thighs to make the sandwich. Because I had the leftover chicken meat, I only used the sauce portion of the recipe.
I shredded the leftover chicken using two forks, or, in some cases, my hands. Boiling a chicken makes the meat tender, so it was easier and faster for me to use my hands for most of the shredding. I packed a two-cup container with shredded chicken meat for use in this recipe.
Jeff prefers a mild sauce, nothing with too much heat, so I omitted the 1/8 teaspoon of ground red pepper. If you want a little heat in the sauce, add the ground red pepper. You can grill chicken to use in this recipe, if you don't have leftover chicken.
I hope you enjoy the Pulled Chicken Sandwich!
Pulled Leftover Chicken Sandwich
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 cups chicken, shredded
- Heat the vegetable oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the dark brown sugar until thoroughly combined.
- Add the chili powder, granulated garlic, dry mustard and ground allspice then stir to combine.
- Stir in the ketchup and vinegar then bring to a boil.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir occasionally.
- Add the shredded chicken and stir to combine.
- Continue stirring the chicken until heated through, about 2-3 minutes.
- Place the shredded chicken on sandwich buns and serve.
Last updated on August 20th, 2019