Potatoes Au Gratin are sliced potatoes covered in a cheese sauce, topped with shredded cheese or breadcrumbs. This recipe tops the potatoes with both shredded cheese and breadcrumbs. Yum! Au Gratin means topped with breadcrumbs or cheese then browned.
Mom sometimes included either Potatoes Au Gratin or Scalloped Potatoes as part of our family dinners. She would double the recipe because one was not enough!
The difference between the two dishes is basically the cheese. Potatoes Au Gratin includes cheese. Scalloped Potatoes are baked in a cream sauce and includes no cheese.
Mom used Colby Longhorn cheese when making Potatoes Au Gratin. Mom loved Colby Longhorn Cheese. She wasn't a fan of cheddar. You can use cheddar cheese or whatever cheese you prefer. The recipe that you see below is Mom's recipe.
Another potato side dish that will please your guests is Melting Potatoes. Potato are sliced thick and baked at a high heat. They are crispy outside and creamy inside.
I hope you enjoy Potatoes Au Gratin!
Potatoes Au Gratin
Au Gratin Potatoes
- 2 pounds potatoes
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups colby longhorn cheese, shredded or cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup colby longhorn cheese, shredded or cheddar cheese
Au Gratin Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 375F. Or, 325F if you want a longer cooking time.
- Wash and peel potatoes then slice thinly. You should have about 4-cups of thinly sliced potatoes.
- Place the sliced potatoes in an 8x8 baking dish.
- Chop the onion and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion to the saucepan and cook until tender.
- Add the flour, salt and pepper to the butter mixture and cook until bubbly.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Add the milk and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese then stir to combine.
- Place the saucepan back on the heat and bring to a boil. The sauce will thicken slightly.
- Pour the cheese mixture over the potatoes.
- Bake at 375F for 1 hour, or 325F for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Mix the bread crumbs and 1/2 cup cheese together.
- Remove the casserole dish from the oven and sprinkle the bread crumbs mixture evenly over the top of the casserole dish.
- Place the casserole dish back in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until brown and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let rest 5-10 minutes before serving.