Peanut Butter Pie is a rich and creamy dessert served in a graham cracker crust. The graham cracker crust is baked for a few minutes then cooled before the peanut butter pie filling is added. After the filling is placed inside the crust, the pie is refrigerated a couple of hours or overnight before serving.
I found this recipe in my Mom's recipe file. It was written on an index card in her handwriting. There is no indication of where she got the recipe. Her recipe included chunky peanut butter. Jeff prefers creamy peanut butter, so I use creamy peanut butter when I make this pie.
The pie should be stored in the refrigerator because of the cream cheese in the pie.
I make my own graham cracker crust, but you can purchase one pre-made, if you prefer. Graham Cracker crusts are not difficult to make but purchasing one will save a few steps. I use Honey Maid Honey Grahams when making a graham cracker crust.
I crush the graham crackers, a few at a time, in a food processor until I have enough to make the crust. My mother would crush a whole box of graham crackers at a time then freeze what she didn't use at that time so that she had graham cracker crumbs when she needed them. Mom made Buckeyes often, which also need graham cracker crumbs. It was handy for her to have graham crackers already crushed.
Once the graham crackers are crushed, mix them with melted butter and a little sugar. The graham crackers will be moistened. Then, press the graham cracker mixture into your pie plate. Next, bake the pie crust for a few minutes, then cool completely before adding your filling.
The filling is a blend of softened cream cheese, Cool Whip Whipped Topping, peanut butter and powdered sugar. Carefully spread the filling in the graham cracker crust. You might get a few crumbs sticking to the filling, so be careful when spreading the filling in the crust.
Refrigerate the pie for a couple hours or overnight. This pie is creamy and rich with a strong peanut butter flavor. This pie is a good dessert to serve to anyone who loves peanut butter.
If you like pies in graham cracker crusts, take a look at this Pumpkin Pie recipe. The graham cracker crust for the pumpkin pie includes coconut flakes, which adds some flavor to the Pumpkin Pie.
I hope you enjoy the Peanut Butter Pie!
Peanut Butter Pie
Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 1/2 cups graham crackers, finely crushed
- 1/3 cup butter or vegan butter
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
Peanut Butter Pie Filling
- 1 cup peanut butter I prefer creamy, but you can use chunky.
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 8 ounces Cool Whip Whipped Topping
Graham Cracker Crust
- Heat oven to 350F.
- Using a food processor, finely crush the graham crackers until you have 1 1/2 cups of crushed graham crackers.
- Melt the butter.
- In a large bowl, combine the crushed graham crackers, melted butter and sugar.
- Press the graham cracker crumb mixture firmly and evenly against the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate.
- Place the pie plate into a preheated oven and bake for about 10-minutes, or until light brown.
- Cool on cooling rack.
Peanut Butter Filling
- Using an electric mixer, blend the peanut butter, cream cheese and sugar until combined well.
- Add the Cool Whip Whipped Topping and blend well.
- Pour into the cooled graham cracker pie crust.
- Refrigerate for two hours or overnight.