Peanut Butter Brownies are a soft brownie that is not overly sweet. They have a mild peanut butter flavor that is not overpowering. You might not be able to eat just one! They make a satisfying treat packed in lunches or for an afternoon snack.
I ran across this recipe in an old Workbasket Magazine from March, 1968. The recipe was submitted to the Workbasket by Mrs. R. L. La Belle. Workbasket was a craft magazine that was published 1935 through the 1996. My Dad's cousin was a subscriber and saved her issues. I have them now, so I have quite a few of the magazines. I was subscriber for a few years in the 1990's, too. The magazine offered patterns for crocheting, knitting, needlework and other crafts as well as recipes and household tips. If you were into crafts, it was "the" magazine. I find it interesting to see the ads and articles in the older magazines. They reflect the era.
The original recipe calls for adding 1/2 cup of peanuts to the batter before baking. I omit the peanuts because my husband and I prefer the texture of the brownies without the peanuts. You can certainly add the peanuts, if you prefer.
I mix these brownies by hand. First, melt the shortening then add the peanut butter and stir until the peanut butter is melted. Next, add the sugar then eggs and stir to combine. At this point the batter will be a little thick and may take a little effort to stir. Next, add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine. If you don't want to mix by hand, you could probably use an electric mixer. I haven't tried an electric mixer with this recipe.
This recipe makes 32 brownies, so that is plenty to share. They make a good dessert to take to a party or potluck. These brownies pair well on a dessert table with Triple Chocolate Vegan Brownies. Peanut Butter Brownies and Chocolate Brownies, what more do you need on a dessert table? lol
These brownies freeze well, so you can freeze some and save them for later.
I hope you enjoy the Peanut Butter Brownies!
Peanut Butter Brownies
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup peanut butter, creamy I recommend creamy, but you could use chunky, if you prefer.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 jumbo eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup peanuts, salted, optional I leave out the peanuts because we prefer the brownie texture without the peanuts.
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Spray a 9x13-inch rimmed baking dish with cooking spray. You could use two 8-inch square rimmed baking dishes.
- Melt the shortening in the microwave using a microwave safe container that is large enough to hold all of the ingredients. Otherwise, you'll have to transfer the ingredients to a larger container.
- Add the peanut butter to the shortening then stir until the peanut butter is melted.
- Add the sugar and eggs to the peanut butter mixture then stir until thoroughly combined. The mixture will be thick.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt to the peanut butter mixture then stir until thoroughly combined. The mixture will be thick.
- If you are adding peanuts, add them to the batter then stir to evenly distribute.
- Spread the batter in the prepared baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 25-35 minutes or until a pick inserted into the brownies comes out clean. The brownies will be lightly browned around the edges but pale in the center.
- Let the brownies cool in the pan on a cooling rack.
- Cut the brownies into squares and store in an air tight container, or freeze, until you are ready to serve.
Last updated on August 15th, 2019