Peanut Butter and Coconut Easter Eggs were a treat that my Mom made around Easter. The centers are creamy and not too sweet. Once the cream cheese base is prepared, you can either add creamy peanut butter or shredded coconut. The base can be split in half, then one half made into peanut butter eggs and the other half coconut eggs. Of course, you can make all Peanut Butter or all Coconut Easter Eggs, too. Mom usually made half peanut butter and half coconut eggs.
I made the eggs somewhat small, around 2-3 inches long. Smaller eggs give you a better center to chocolate ratio. Plus, Jeff and I can split one egg when they are small. Mom usually made larger eggs. She would cover the cut into Easter Egg with plastic wrap. Make the eggs any size that you prefer.
I altered the original recipe so that it is dairy-free. Daiya Cream Cheese Style Spread is a really good substitute for cream cheese. The flavor is so close to cream cheese. Vegan butter is substituted for the butter. Mom always used dark chocolate to coat the eggs. I have found that dark chocolate is ok for my husband. Use a dairy-free chocolate if you need to be dairy-free.
It is best to keep the eggs in the refrigerator because of the cream cheese. They will get very soft inside when not refrigerated.
I hope you enjoy!
Peanut Butter and Coconut Easter Eggs
- 8 ounces dairy-free cream cheese substitute Like Daiya cream cheese style spread
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 2 pounds Powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter or 2 cups shredded coconut, or split the recipe in half and use 1 cup peanut butter and 1 cup shredded coconut per half
- 3 cups dairy-free chocolate
- Cream dairy-free cream cheese substitute and vegan butter until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar, vanilla and salt and blend until smooth.
- If you are making half peanut butter and half coconut eggs, split the mixture in half.
- Add the peanut butter or coconut to the mixture and blend until smooth.
- Shape into either round or egg shapes pieces, about 2-inch in size and place on wax paper.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30-minutes then reshape the eggs as needed.
- Melt chocolate in the microwave or using a double-boiler.
- Dip in melted chocolate and place on wax paper to dry.
- Store in refrigerator.