Orange Chicken and Rice Skillet is a quick and easy meal to prepare. I love the flavors of the curry with the orange juice. This dish is chicken, rice and vegetables all mixed together. So good! I'm not sure where I got this recipe. It's a recipe that I have had for a while.
Curry Powder has a deep and earthy flavor. It is a blend of savory spices. I used to work with a few women who made their own curry powder. I plan on making my own someday, just to try it, but for now, I buy curry powder already made. The flavor of curry is so good!
Mixing curry with orange juice gives you a slightly sweet, earthy flavor. The chicken is tender. The rice absorbs the flavors.
The Orange Chicken and Rice Skillet recipe calls for carrots and peas. I'm not a fan of peas, so I used all fresh carrots, cut small. The recipe also calls for green onions but I used minced onion. The original recipe called for one cup of long-grain rice. Basmati rice is my favorite rice, so I use it most of the time. Because of the amount of liquid in the dish, I used 1 1/2 cups of rice. I didn't want the Basmati rice to get too mushy, so I increased the amount of rice. Depending on the rice you use, you might want to adjust the quantity of rice.
I hope you enjoy Orange Chicken and Rice Skillet!
Orange Chicken and Rice Skillet
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- dash salt
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice or other long grain rice of your preference
- 1 1/2 cups carrots or peas or a mixture of the two
- Combine the brown sugar, curry powder, dry mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Wash the chicken breasts and pat dry.
- Cut chicken breasts into 1/2-inch pieces and put in another bowl.
- Mix one tablespoon all-purpose flour and one tablespoon of the curry mixture.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the flour and curry mixture and toss to coat chicken pieces.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add the chicken and cook until lightly browned on all sides.
- Add the minced onion and cook for another minute or two.
- Combine the chicken broth, orange juice and curry mixture in a large bowl.
- Add the orange juice mixture to the skillet.
- Add the rice.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low.
- Cover and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots, or vegetables of your choice.
- Cover and continue to cook for another 10 minutes or until the vegetables are done and the liquids are absorbed.