One Pot Chicken and Rice is my kind of meal! I love rice, especially fried rice, and this meal is similar to fried rice. It has rice, chicken and vegetables all prepared in one skillet. Add a side salad for a complete meal. It is a filling meal and warms up nicely as leftovers.
I found this recipe on The Wholesome Dish site. Because it reminded me of fried rice, I just had to try it! I slightly altered the recipe to remove the peas because we are not fans of peas. Italian Seasoning is one of my favorite spices, so I added it to the recipe. I also left out the Parmesan Cheese because my hubby isn't a fan of Parmesan Cheese.
You can experiment with the vegetables that you add to the dish. Peas or green beans will give you some added color to this delicious meal.
I hope you like One Pot Chicken and Rice!
One Pot Chicken and Rice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 16 ounces chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup long grain rice I use basmati.
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated, optional I omitted because my husband isn't a fan of Parmesan cheese.
- Wash, peel and chop the carrots then set aside.
- Wash and slice the celery then set aside.
- Wash, peel and chop the onion then set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- Add the chicken, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook until the juices are clear.
- Add the carrots, celery, onion and garlic. Cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the chicken broth and milk to the skillet then stir to combine.
- Add the rice and stir to combine.
- Add the bay leaf.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce the heat to medium-low so that the mixture is simmering.
- Cover the skillet and cook for 20-25 minutes or until the rice is tender. Stir occasionally.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese, if you are including it.
- Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Let the mixture rest for about five minutes before serving.