O'Brien Potato Casserole is a hearty dish that is easy to make. Serve it with a side salad and/or your favorite vegetables for a complete meal.
Frozen hash brown potatoes are placed in a casserole dish then topped with a mixture of cream of chicken soup, milk and sour cream. Sprinkle some shredded cheese then the lay chicken breasts, or pork chops on top. Then, bake until the chicken, or pork, is done. Remove it from the oven, add more cheese and some French's Crispy Fried Onions then bake for a few minutes more so that the cheese melts.
This casserole reminds me of a chicken and rice casserole that also uses cream of chicken or celery soup and French's Crispy Fried Onions. Yum!
I found this recipe in my Mom's recipe book. She noted that it came from her older brother, Leon. When I was a teenager, Uncle Leon and his son, William, used to visit us every year. There was always a lot of cooking when Uncle Leon was around. This was probably one of the dishes that was made during one of those visits.
Another one of my favorite casserole recipe of Uncle Leon's uses mashed potatoes and French's Crispy Fried Onions as a shell. The shell is filled with cream of chicken soup and vegetables. We always called the dish, Uncle Leon's Hearty Chicken Bake. The version of my site is dairy-free, but can easily be altered to use dairy products.
I hope you enjoy the O'Brien Potato Casserole!
O'Brien Potato Casserole
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1.5 pounds chicken breasts or pork
- 10.5 ounces condensed cream of chicken soup or condensed cream of celery soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 30 ounces hash browns
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup Mexican Blend Cheese, shredded or shredded cheddar cheese
- 2.8 ounces crispy fried onions
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Lightly spray a 13x9 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Evenly place the hash browns in the casserole dish.
- Whisk together the cream of chicken soup, milk, sour cream and pepper.
- Evenly pour over the hash browns.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the cheese over the hash browns. Set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet then brown the chicken. Do not fully cook.
- Evenly place the chicken on top of the hash brown mixture.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese evenly over the has browns.
- Evenly sprinkle the fried onions over the casserole.
- Return the dish to the oven for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.