Mediterranean Cauliflower Rice is a good alternative to rice or potatoes. This Mediterranean Riced Cauliflower recipe makes a light and refreshing side dish. The toasted almonds give the cauliflower rice a bit of a crunch.
Several cooking shows that I have seen in recent years made cauliflower rice and talked about it being a healthier alternative to rice or potatoes. I like cauliflower, so I wanted to try it. My husband, Jeff, isn't a fan of cauliflower, so I wasn't sure it was a dish he would like. But, he does like it! Woo Hoo!
You can buy fresh cauliflower and either use a grader or a food processor to chop the cauliflower into small rice sized pieces. Or, you can purchase riced cauliflower in the frozen food section of your local grocery store. I purchased Birds Eye Steamfresh Veggie Made Riced Cauliflower Original. You can steam the cauliflower right in the bag using the microwave. It makes it easy to use riced cauliflower. Birds Eye has a few varieties of riced cauliflower. Some of the varieties have flavors, like garlic, added to them. I purchase the plain variety because I like to add my own spices.
Once the cauliflower rice is steamed, I let it drain on paper towels for a few minutes. While the cauliflower rice is steaming, toast the almonds in the skillet. Then, while the cauliflower rice is draining, saute the garlic. Once the garlic is fragrant, add the cauliflower rice and salt then stir to combine. Remove the skillet from the heat, add the almonds, parsley and lemon juice then stir to combine. Season with pepper, if desired. Serve hot.
I hope you like the Mediterranean Cauliflower Rice!
Mediterranean Cauliflower Rice
- 2 3/4 cups cauliflower rice I use one 10-ounce bag of Birds Eye Steamfresh Veggie Made Riced Cauliflower, Original
- 1/2 cups sliced or slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- pepper to taste
- Steam the cauliflower rice.
- Place on a paper towel to drain.
- Toast the almonds in a skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently. The almonds will begin to turn brown on the edges and get fragrant. Toasting the almonds will take 3-5 minutes.
- Place the almonds in a bowl to cool. Set aside.
- Add olive oil and garlic to the skillet and return it to the heat.
- Stir and cook until the garlic is fragrant. This will take about a minute.
- Add the cauliflower rice and salt. Stir to combine.
- Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the cauliflower rice is hot.
- Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Stir in the toasted almonds, parsley and lemon juice.
- Season with pepper, to taste.