Magic Cookie Bars are a rich dessert. Crushed graham crackers are topped with condensed milk, nuts, coconut and chocolate chips then baked. After the bars cool, cut the cookies into bars.
My Mom would make this rich dessert for my Dad. He had quite a sweet tooth and these cookie bars satisfied that sweet tooth. Mom's recipe card is titled "Chocolate Squares" but she always called them "Magic Cookie Bars". Someday, I might find another recipe card titled "Magic Cookie Bars" in her recipe file.
This recipe calls for Sweetened Condensed Milk. I use Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk. It's an old brand that I've used for many years.
Another dessert that uses graham crackers is Buckeyes. Buckeyes are graham crackers mixed with peanut butter, powdered sugar and butter, formed into balls then dipped into melted chocolate.
I hope you enjoy the Magic Cookie Bars!
Magic Cookie Bars
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups graham crackers, crushed You will need about 21 graham crackers.
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup pecans or walnuts
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Using a food processor, crush the graham crackers until you have 1 1/2 cups of finely crushed graham crackers. You will need about 21 graham crackers. If you don't have a food processor, you can put the graham crackers in a plastic bag and using a rolling pin or mallet to crush them. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a small bowl then combine with 1 1/2 cups crushed graham crackers.
- Press the graham crackers into the bottom only of the prepared baking pan.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk over the graham crackers.
- Spread nuts, coconut and chocolate evenly over the top.
- Press down firmly with a fork.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Loosen from the sides of the pan while the squares are still warm.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cut into squares (bars).