Little Cheddar Meatloaves are moist and tender, individual meatloaves. They make delicious leftovers and reheat easily in the microwave. They are good served as an everyday meal or at a party. Little Cheddar Meatloaves are good as a meatloaf sandwich, too!
Little Cheddar Meatloaves are quick and easy to make. I prefer to use 90% lean ground chuck because there is less grease after baking. The other ingredients in the meatloaf provide a lot of flavor and keep the meatloaf moist and tender.
These meatloaves can be made for lactose-intolerant individuals. Using soy milk and dairy-free cheese will make these meatloaves dairy-free. I like to use a shredded Mexican Cheese Blend, which can be tolerated by some lactose-intolerant individuals. Cheese with 0 sugar can be tolerated by some lactose-intolerant individuals. Please do what is best for your dietary needs.
The ketchup coating adds a sweetness to the meatloaves. If you prefer a less sweet topping, then add less brown sugar to the ketchup coating.
Little Cheddar Meatloaves freeze well. I freeze them after they have been baked then cooled. When I freeze them, I wrap them first in wax paper, then in foil. I place the wrapped Little Cheddar Meatloaves in a zipper close freezer bag. I wrap in wax paper first so the ketchup coating stays on after freezing. The foil provides a protective seal.
When we want to eat the frozen Little Cheddar Meatloaves, I defrost them in the microwave first, then heat them in the microwave. Be sure to remove the foil before placing in the microwave. You could defrost in the refrigerator overnight, if you prefer. The recipe can be easily doubled or tripled so that there are several Little Cheddar Meatloaves to freeze. These delicious little meatloaves have come in handy for me when unplanned guests arrive for a meal. They defrost and reheat quickly. They are always a big hit.
I hope you enjoy!
Little Cheddar Meatloaves
- 1 jumbo egg
- 3/4 cup soy milk or the milk of your choice
- 1 cup shredded Mexican Cheese Blend or dairy-free cheese, or your preferred cheese
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound lean ground beef I prefer 90% lean ground chuck. You can use any ground beef or ground turkey.
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 - 1/2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard or your favorite mustard
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a bowl, beat the egg and milk.
- Stir in cheese, oats, onion and salt until thoroughly mixed.
- Add the beef and mix well.
- Shape into eight loaves.
- Place in a greased 13-in. X 9-in. X 2-in. baking dish.
- Combine the ketchup, brown sugar and mustard to make the sauce.
- Spoon the sauce over meatloaves.
- Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160F.