Kale with Lemon and Garlic is a quick and easy dish to make. The kale is tender and is flavored with the garlic. The lemon adds a refreshing flavor.
I had some leftover kale from making a smoothie, so I thought I'd look for other ways to use the kale. The smoothie was a bust, so I wasn't going to use the rest of the kale in a smoothie! I ran across a skillet recipe on the Kitchn site. This recipe seems similar to a recipe that my Mom made a lot when I was growing up.
When making this dish, pull the leaves off of the stems using your hands. Then rinse the leaves using a colander. Do not dry the leaves. We want the water on the leaves to help steam the leaves so they are tender.
In a large skillet, heat the oil then add garlic, and red pepper flakes if you desire. I left the red pepper flakes out of the dish because Jeff doesn't like dishes with much heat.
Once the garlic is tender, add a few handfuls of the kale then stir. There will probably be more kale than what will fit in your skillet initially. The kale will wilt as it cooks. Once the kale has wilted, add more kale then stir. Repeat this process until all of the kale has been added to the skillet.
After all of the kale has been added to the skillet, stir in the salt and pepper then cover the skillet and cook for five or so minutes.
Remove the cover from the skillet then check on the kale. If the kale is tender, you are done cooking the kale. However, if the kale is not tender, put the lid back on the skillet and cook a little longer. If you find that the skillet is dry or that the kale is sticking a bit, add about 1/4 cup of water to the skillet. The water will help steam the kale so that it becomes more tender. Add more water as needed. I usually add water at least once, sometimes two or three times, before the kale is tender.
Once the kale is tender, remove it from the heat then add the lemon juice and stir. Serve hot. You can store any leftovers in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. Reheat the kale in the microwave.
I first served the Kale with Lemon and Garlic with my Salmon Cakes with Dijon Herb Sauce. Jeff really liked the flavors of the dishes together. He liked the leftovers of these two dishes served together, too!
I hope you enjoy Kale with Lemon and Garlic!
Kale with Lemon and Garlic
- 2 large bunches of kale About 1 1/2 pounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic or 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or the juice of one lemon
- Pull the kale leaves from their stems.
- Coarsely chop the leaves.
- Rinse the leaves. Do not dry them.
- In a large skillet, hear the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and red pepper, if using. Stir frequently for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the wet kale, a few handfuls at a time. Stir after each addition. Once the kale starts to wilt, add more kale.
- Once all of the kale is in the skillet, sprinkle with the salt and pepper and stir again.
- Cover the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes. Remove the cover and stir. If the kale is tender, remove from the heat. If the kale is not tender, cover again and cook a little longer. If the skillet is dry, you can add 1/4 cup of water. Continue checking the process until the kale is tender.
- Once the kale is tender and has been removed from the heat, stir in the lemon juice then serve hot.