Honey Lime Chicken is a moist and juicy chicken breast that is rubbed with spices, prepared in a skillet then topped with a honey-lime glaze. The honey-lime sauce brings a sweet, slightly sour and slightly salty flavor to the chicken.
I prefer to pound the chicken to about 1/2-inch thick because it will cook faster and more evenly. When I pound chicken, I put it in a plastic bag with the end folded under. I use the flat side of the mallet and pound the chicken through the plastic bag. Any juices that would splatter the counter are trapped inside the bag. Don't use the dimpled edge of the mallet because you will tear the plastic bag. The dimpled edge of a mallet is used for tenderizing proteins, while the flat side is used to flatten proteins.
Make sure you remove the hot skillet from the heat before you put the ingredients for the glaze in the skillet. The skillet will be hot, so pouring cold or room temperature liquids will cause a lot of steam. Removing from the heat will reduce the steam, and the risk of burning yourself.
Tongs make it easy to turn the chicken when cooking it as well as when coating it in the glaze. You are less likely to splatter your stove top or yourself when using tongs.
Any extra glaze can be put on top of the chicken breast. A glaze is typically a sweet liquid that is put on top of the protein. Glazes are usually sweet and a little shiny. A glaze differs from a sauce because a sauce is thicker than a glaze and can be used for dipping.
I hope you enjoy the Honey Lime Chicken!
Honey Lime Chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts Pounded to about 1/2-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
Prepare Spice Rub
- Mix granulated garlic, granulated onion, ground cumin, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Pound chicken breasts until they are about 1/2-inch thick.
- Rub the Spice Rub on both sides of the chicken. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil and vegan butter in a skillet.
- Once the vegan butter has melted, add the chicken to the skillet and cook 5-6 minutes per side or until done.
- Remove chicken from the skillet and set on a plate. Set aside.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and add honey, lime juice, soy sauce and minced garlic. Stir to combine.
- Put the skillet back on the heat and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Once boiling, reduce heat and whisk frequently until the glaze begins to thicken, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the skillet. Turn the chicken to coat in the glaze.
- Serve with extra glaze spooned on top of the chicken.
Last updated on August 15th, 2019