Hamburger and Cabbage Soup is a hearty soup that will warm you up on cool days. This soup is full of hamburger, potatoes, carrots and cabbage. The soup is made with beef stock, which gives it a rich flavor.
When making this soup, first start by browning your hamburger. I rinse the hamburger in a strainer to remove the fat but you can skip rinsing the hamburger if you prefer. Next, in a large stock pot, saute the onions, garlic and celery until soft. Then, add your hamburger and stir to combine. Next, add the beef broth, tomato juice and sugar. Then, add the rest of the vegetables and spices. Let the mixture simmer for several hours so the vegetables cook and the flavors blend.
The rich broth is perfect for dipping Italian bread into it. The soup keeps well for a few days and reheats well either in the microwave or stove top.
I hope you enjoy the Hamburger and Cabbage Soup!
Hamburger and Cabbage Soup
- 2 pounds hamburger
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 4 tablespoons minced garlic
- 48 ounces beef broth
- 32 ounces tomato juice
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups carrots
- 4 cups potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup corn
- 8 cups cabbage, chopped small Green cabbage or napa cabbage.
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Brown the hamburger in a large skillet, breaking the hamburger into small pieces. Drain off the fat. You can rinse the hamburger in a strainer to remove more fat, if you'd like. Set the hamburger aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, celery and garlic until soft.
- Stir the hamburger into the onion mixture.
- Add the beef broth, tomato juice and sugar to the pot and stir to combine.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, corn, cabbage, thyme and bay leaves and stir to combine.
- Let simmer until the liquid starts to get bubbly.
- Turn the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 5 hours. Stir occasionally.
- Remove the bay leaves before serving.