Easy as Pie Pumpkin Pasta is a quick and easy dish to make. The sauce is similar to the sauce you might use with macaroni and cheese except that you use pumpkin puree instead of cheese. You can alter the amount of pumpkin puree that you use depending on how strong of a pumpkin flavor you want. I use 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree, which gives us a mild pumpkin flavor. Serve this dish with a side salad and/or vegetables for a complete meal.
I had some leftover pumpkin puree from making Chocolate Pumpkin Brownies, so I did some searching to find ways of using that pumpkin puree. I found this pasta recipe on the Sara Lynn Paige site. It looked good, so I thought I'd give it a try.
I altered the recipe a little bit. My version includes shredded chicken. The original recipe calls for Rotini but you can use any pasta that you prefer. When making a recipe like this one, I use whatever pasta is most plentiful in my pantry.
I hope you enjoy the Easy as Pie Pumpkin Pasta!
Easy as Pie Pumpkin Pasta
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided You can use margarine or a dairy-free butter substitute.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk You can use soy milk.
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree You can use more or less depending on how strong you want the flavor of pumpkin.
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 12 ounces pasta You can use penne, rigatoni, rotini, ziti or similar pasta.
- 1-2 teaspoons parsley
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 cup chicken, cooked, optional You can use shredded or cubed chicken. I used shredded.
- Cook your pasta as directed on the package. The pasta can cook while you are making the sauce. Once the pasta is done, drain it then set it aside until needed.
- Chop the onion then set aside.
- Melt the 1-2 tablespoons of butter in a small pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion to the butter and simmer until the onions are lightly browned.
- Once the onions are lightly browned, remove them from the heat and set aside.
- Melt the remaining butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Select a skillet that can hold all of the ingredients.
- Add the flour then stir. The mixture will be a little pasty.
- Gradually add in the milk, stirring well after each addition. Continue to stir until there are no lumps.
- Stir in the pumpkin puree until smooth. You can taste your sauce here and add more pumpkin puree if you want the flavor stronger.
- Continue to stir as the sauce thickens a little.
- Add the nutmeg, salt, pepper and parsley.
- Add the pasta, onion and the cooked chicken to the sauce and stir to coat.
- Serve hot.