Dairy-Free Pumpkin Pie with a Graham Cracker crust is a creamy pie with a strong pumpkin flavor. It is so delicious that I didn't want to stop eating this pie!
The crust has coconut oil and coconut flakes in it which makes the crust a little sweet. Graham crackers give it a nice crunch.
Although the coconut milk in the pie filling gives the pie a mild coconut flavor, the pumpkin is the star. The fall favorite spices of cinnamon, clove and nutmeg give this pie the flavors we all expect from a pumpkin pie. This pie will make a mouth-watering addition to your Thanksgiving dessert table!
In the past, I rarely baked pies because my Mom always baked them. Her pies were always a family favorite. I'm baking an occasional pie now. My pies aren't Mom's pies, but, they are getting eaten, so they must not be too bad! lol
When making the graham cracker crust, mix all dry ingredients together by hand using a large spoon, then add the coconut oil and blend until there are small clumps.
Once the crust is mixed, lightly grease a pie plate then pour the graham cracker mixture into the pie plate. Press the graham cracker mixture onto the bottom and sides of the pie plate, about 1/4 inch thick. The crust can burn if it is thinner than 1/4 inch. Then, bake the crust for a few minutes prior to adding the filling.
When making the pie filling, use an electric mixer to first blend all of the ingredients, except for the coconut milk.
I keep coconut milk in the refrigerator, so it is more solid than liquid. I use the more solid part of the coconut milk in the pie. Depending on the brand of coconut milk I am using, the can will all be solid, or there will be a mix of solid coconut and some cloudy water. I will use very little, if any, of the coconut water left in the can.
The cold coconut milk will take a few minutes to blend with the other ingredients. You may see small white clumps until the coconut milk is fully incorporated. Once all of the ingredients are blended, pour the filling into the prepared pie shell.
Use a pie shell protector to help reduce the browning of the graham cracker crust. If you don't have a pie shell protector, then use foil.
Bake the pie for 15 minutes at 425F, then turn down the oven temperature to 350F for the remaining of the baking time.
Once the pie has been in the oven the designated time, remove it and let it cool on the counter. The pie will continue to cook a little, so it may still look a little under cooked in the center.
If your pie splits, it could mean it is a little overdone. In my experience, the pie is still very good even though it does split in the center.
I hope you enjoy the Dairy-Free Pumpkin Pie with a Graham Cracker Crust!
Dairy-Free Pumpkin Pie with a Graham Cracker Crust
Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 1/3 cups finely crushed graham crackers
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil
Dairy-Free Pumpkin Pie Filling
- 15 ounces pumpkin puree
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 jumbo eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut milk, refrigerated
Graham Cracker Crust
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a mixing bowl large enough to hold all of the graham cracker crust ingredients, combine the graham cracker crumbs, coconut, pumpkin pie spice and light brown sugar until mixed well. I mix by hand using a large spoon.
- Add the coconut oil and mix until the ingredients start to form large clumps. I mix by hand using a large spoon.
- Light grease a 9-inch pie plate. I like to use a Pampered Chef stone pie plate but you can use your preferred pie plate.
- Pour the graham cracker crumb mixture into the pie plate and press the mixture down firmly to form a pie crust. The crust should cover the bottom and sides about be about 1/4 inch thick.
- Bake for about four minutes then transfer to a cooling rack while you prepare the filling.
Prepare the Filling
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the pumpkin puree, light brown sugar, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves and salt until well combined.
- Gradually add the chilled coconut milk. The chilled coconut milk will be a little firm, and possibly thick like shortening. When coconut milk is chilled, you may see thick, firm white milk as well as an off-white liquid. I prefer to use the thicker, firm white milk as much as possible.
- Pour the filling into the prepare pie crust. In the pie plate that I use, the pie plate is very full.
- Use a pie crust saver or foil, cover the graham cracker crust. I have found that it gets dark during baking if it is not covered.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then turn the oven down to 350F and bake for 35-40 minutes longer. The pie may still seem a little under cooked in the center. This is ok, it will continue to cook once out of the oven.
- Remove the pie and cool on a cooling rack until room temperature.
- Refrigerate 1-2 hours before serving.
- Store the pie in the refrigerator.