Dairy-Free Chocolate Pudding is a rich and creamy dessert. It will satisfy a sweet tooth. I use soy milk for this recipe, but you can use almondmilk or other non-dairy or dairy milk.
My husband is dairy-free and has been wanting chocolate pudding since he saw a commercial for pre-made chocolate pudding. So, I made him this dairy-free pudding. I made it a few times in recent weeks and each time it didn't last too long before it was all devoured!
Making this pudding requires some patience and a lot of stirring. For me, time passes very slowly when standing over a stove stirring a pot. But, it is worth it!
This recipe gets its chocolate flavor from cocoa. I use Hershey's Natural Unsweetened Cocoa. It is a product that I have used for many years in many recipes. One of the recipes that I use Hershey's Unsweetened Cocoa in is Triple Chocolate Vegan Brownies. The brownies get their rich chocolatey flavor from the cocoa.
Make sure to whisk the cocoa, sugar, salt and cornstarch so that no lumps remain. Your pudding might have lumps in it if the powdered ingredients are not lump-free. Once the dry ingredients are lump-free, place them in a large sauce pan with the soy milk then whisk them together until combined. Continue to constantly whisk over medium-heat until the pudding begins to thicken. If you dip a spoon into the pudding, the pudding should stick to the spoon. Remove the pudding from the heat then add the butter and vanilla. Then, stir until the butter is dissolved and all ingredients are thoroughly combined. Next, place the pudding in one or more heat proof containers and refrigerate until chilled.
Of course, as the cook, I have to taste the pudding to make sure it is ok. 😉 So, I use a spatula to get as much pudding out of the sauce pan as possible and taste the warm pudding. I enjoy the pudding warm as much as I do when it is chilled.
I hope you enjoy this Dairy-Free Chocolate Pudding!
Dairy-Free Chocolate Pudding
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 cup soy milk or other dairy-free milk or milk
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter or butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whisk together the cocoa, sugar, salt and cornstarch until any lumps are broken up.
- In a large saucepan, whisk together the cocoa mixture and soy milk over medium-heat.
- Constantly whisk until the pudding thickens.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the vegan butter and vanilla then stir until the butter melts and is incorporated in the pudding.
- Pour into heat proof container(s) and refrigerate until chilled.
Last updated on August 15th, 2019