Dairy-Free Apple Crisp is one of my Mother's recipes. The apples are sliced thinly and placed in the bottom of a baking dish or pie plate, topped with an oatmeal and sugar mixture then baked. Scrumptious!
Mom's recipe uses a round 8-inch baking dish. I use my Pampered Chef deep dish pie plate instead. It is as deep as my round 8-inch baking dish. I'm sure it would work fine in an 8-inch square casserole dish, too.
Dairy-Free Apple Crisp is similar to an Apple Brown Betty. A Brown Betty is an American dessert that is fruit topped with sweetened crumbs then baked. The topping for this dessert is sweetened oatmeal. The oatmeal brings a nice crunch to this dessert. Dairy-Free Apple Crisp would make a nice breakfast treat, too!
Mom's original recipe used butter. I replaced the butter with coconut oil so that it would be a dairy-free dessert. If you aren't concerned with being dairy-free, then you can replace the coconut oil with butter or margarine, using the same quantity.
I hope you enjoy the Dairy-Free Apple Crisp!
Dairy-Free Apple Crisp
- 3 medium apples, peeled, cored and sliced thin
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Lightly grease on 8-inch round pan.
- Put apples in the bottom of the round pan.
- Mix flour, sugar and oatmeal in a large mixing bowl.
- Add coconut oil to the flour mixture and combine until crumbly.
- Pour flour mixture over apples.
- Bake 35 minutes or until browned.
- Remove from oven and let cool.