Curried Chicken is an earthy, mildly acidic dish. It takes a little time to slowly simmer so that chicken is tender. I cut chicken into small pieces then let it simmer for a couple of hours. Depending on the size of the chicken pieces, your simmering time might vary.
This Curried Chicken recipe was taught to me by my friend's mother, Mrs. Aye. I was in middle school at the time, which was about 40-years! Time sure flies, doesn't it? My friend, Nwe, and Mrs. Aye called this dish Burmese Curried Chicken. It's been a favorite of mine, and my family's, since Mrs. Aye first introduced us to her dish. Everything Mrs. Aye makes is yummy!
Mrs. Aye used a whole chicken. She cut the chicken into pieces and picked the meat off of smaller pieces like the neck. The first several times my Mom, or I, made this recipe, we used a whole chicken just like Mrs. Aye taught us. When using a whole chicken, you have all of the chicken parts to satisfy varying palates. Mrs. Aye left the skins on and did not remove the bones. With skins and bones, some chicken flavor enhances the gravy.
Over the years, I got lazy and my taste buds changed, so I just use chicken breasts now. I cut up skinless, boneless, chicken breasts into 1 1/2 - 2-inch pieces instead of a cut-up whole chicken. You can use a cut-up whole chicken or the chicken parts you prefer. Mrs. Aye lives in the UK now, so it has been many years since I've had Curried Chicken prepared by her. So, I make it for myself, my husband and family. My husband and I both like my version of the recipe. I'm sure it isn't as good as the original, but we like it!
Curried Chicken makes a gravy that is spooned on top of the chicken when serving. I serve this chicken on a bed of basmati rice. It makes good leftovers, too. Jeff ends up with some lunches out of the leftovers.
I hope you enjoy this Curried Chicken!
- 6 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 large onions, chopped small
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon curry
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Fish sauce Optional
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless You can use a whole chicken or chicken parts.
- Cut chicken into 1 1/2 - 2-inch pieces. If you are using a whole chicken, cut into pieces.
- Heat oil in a sauce pan large enough for all ingredients.
- Once the oil is hot, add the onion, garlic and tomato and cook until tender.
- Add the paprika, turmeric, curry and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add the fish sauce, if you are including it. Stir to combine.
- Add the chicken. Stir to coat with the sauce.
- Cook over medium heat until the chicken is tender.
- If you would like to thin the gravy, you can add a little water.
- Serve the chicken and gravy over rice.
Last updated on August 15th, 2019