Crusty Cheese Rings have a mild cheese flavor and are flaky on the inside with a crusty top. They remind me of cheddar biscuits. Crusty Cheese Rings make a delicious appetizer or snack and go great with soups or salads.
I like to use a Mexican Cheese Blend when I make Crusty Cheese Rings. You can use a variety of cheeses, such as Parmesan, Swiss, Cheddar or Monterey Jack.
Crusty Cheese Rings are best served hot or room temperature. You can prepare them ahead of time and leave them in the refrigerator until you are ready to bake them, then serve them hot. Or, you can bake them before your event and serve them at room temperature. They are delicious either way!
To make the ring shape, you can use a doughnut cutter. The centers can also be baked so you have small circle shapes. If you don't have a doughnut cutter, you can cut the dough into strips and serve Crusty Cheese Strips instead. You can shape the dough in many different ways. They would make cute little football-shaped treats, too!
I hope you enjoy!
Crusty Cheese Rings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour Plus more for dusting the counter when rolling out the dough
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1/2 cup Mexican Cheese, shredded or your favorite cheese(s)
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Combine the flour and butter in a large bowl.
- Cut the butter into the flour until the pieces are slightly smaller than peas.
- Using a fork, mix in the cream and vinegar.
- Stir in the cheese until it is evenly distributed.
- Form the dough into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Using a doughnut cutter, cut the dough into rings. You can also cut the dough into 1/4-inch wide strips. Form a ball with any leftover dough, roll it out again then cut into rings or strips.
- Place the rings, centers (doughnut holes) and/or strips onto an ungreased baking sheet and 1-inch apart.
- Chill for about 30-minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 10-minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from baking sheet and serve hot or at room temperature.