Crazy Brownies are a rich, moist dessert. This is a recipe that has been in my life since childhood. There are no dairy products in this recipe, so these sweet tooth satisfying brownies are dairy-free! The chocolatey richness comes from cocoa powder. I use Hershey's Cocoa 100% Cacao, Natural Unsweetened Cocoa in recipes that call for cocoa.
I think this recipe came from a Home Economics class I took many years ago. Raggedy Robins, a dairy-free boiled chocolate cookie, is another Home Economics class recipe. The cookies also use cocoa to get that rich chocolatey flavor.
Crazy Brownies are mixed in the baking pan so it saves a little on clean up. That's crazy, right? lol You could mix the brownies in a large bowl and pour into the baking pan, if you prefer.
First, sift the dry ingredients into an ungreased baking pan. Then, make three wells in the dry ingredients. The three wells are for adding some of the liquid ingredients. In one well, pour in the vegetable oil. Then, in another well, pour in the vanilla extract. In the third well, pour in the white vinegar. Then, pour cold water over the top and gently stir until all of the ingredients are incorporated. Make sure to scrape along the edges and in the corners because the dry ingredients like to hide there.
After baking, let the Crazy Brownies cool before slicing and serving. You can freeze the brownies, if you'd like.
I've seen similar recipes called Crazy Cake and those recipes include frosting. We never frosted these brownies, so, our recipe doesn't include frosting. Frosting will make the brownies sweeter and richer.
I hope you enjoy Crazy Brownies!
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups water, cold
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Sift the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and cocoa powder into a 9 x 13 ungreased baking pan.
- Make three wells in the dry ingredients. You will be pouring liquid into each well.
- Pour vegetable oil in one well.
- Pour white vinegar in one well.
- Then, pour vanilla extract in the third well.
- Pour the cold water over top of the mixture.
- Carefully, stir the ingredients until well blended. Make sure to stir the sides and corners so that no dry ingredients are left.
- Bake in a preheated oven 35-40 minutes, or until a pick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan before slicing and serving.