Cinnamon Coffee Cake is a quick and easy cake to prepare. It is delicious serve as a breakfast treat or a dessert. You can serve it warm or at room temperature. I like to enjoy it warmed with a hot cup of tea. It is an easy, make ahead, breakfast to serve when you have guests. It is also a delicious offering for brunch along side Cinnamon Chocolate Scones and Cinnamon Rolls. Are you seeing a cinnamon theme? 🙂
When I was growing up, there was a Hostess Outlet not far from where we lived. My parents occasionally visited the Hostess Outlet to buy bread and other baked goods. One of treats they would get is Hostess Coffee Cake. Mom made the bulk of what we ate from scratch, so purchased baked goods always seemed like such a treat. This coffee cake recipe reminds me of both Mom's homemade coffee cake as well as the purchased Hostess Coffee Cakes.
Cinnamon Coffee Cake has two components, the batter and the cinnamon topping. Each component is prepared separately, then assembled when ready to bake. The batter is a bit thick, thicker than what you see in a cake batter.
Assemble the cake in four layers. First, spread half of the batter in a greased 8x8 baking dish. Next, top with half of the cinnamon topping. Then, spread the other half of the batter on top. Lastly, top the cake with the other half of the cinnamon topping. It may seem like there is a lot of topping, but it works well once the cake is baked.
This Cinnamon Coffee Cake is dairy-free. It uses vegan butter and Coconut Almondmilk instead of their dairy counterparts. If you are not concerned with being dairy-free, you can use butter and milk. I have made this recipe using butter and milk as well as using vegan butter and Coconut Almondmilk. Both versions of the coffee cake are equally good. You can use other non-dairy versions on milk, such as Soy Milk and plain Almondmilk, too.
If you like icing on your coffee cake, you can make a simple powdered sugar and water icing to drizzle over the top of you cake. The powdered sugar icing will add sweetness to the coffee cake.
I hope you enjoy the Cinnamon Coffee Cake!
Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegan butter You can use butter, if you are not concerned with being dairy-free.
- 2 jumbo eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup coconut almondmilk You can use milk, if you are not concerned with being dairy-free.
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted You can use butter, if you are not concerned with being dairy-free.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs then add the melted vegan butter, coconut almondmilk and vanilla extract.
- Combine the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients. Set aside.
- To make the topping, mix the nuts, brown sugar, all-purpose flour and cinnamon until well blended.
- Add the melted vegan butter and stir to combine.
Coffee Cake Assembly
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Grease a 9x9 baking dish.
- Spread half of the cake batter in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Sprinkle half of the topping over the cake batter.
- Spread the remaining half of the cake batter over the topping.
- Sprinkle the remaining half of the topping over the cake batter.
- Bake in a preheated oven or until a pick inserted into the cake comes out clean.