Chocolate Waffles taste like chocolate cake! They are rich and chocolatey. So, have some cake for breakfast! 😉 The outside is a little crisp and the inside is soft like a chocolate cake.
Because these waffles are like having chocolate cake for breakfast, I only make them occasionally. They are good to serve chocolate-loving guests, or as part of a brunch menu. When I serve them as part of a brunch menu, I try to include other options that are not as rich, like TexMex Frittata Muffin Cups. Chocolate Waffles are a nice birthday breakfast treat, too!
I like the waffles with just a little syrup, no butter. You wouldn't put butter on chocolate cake, would you? lol They are also good served with a little fruit and whipped cream on top.
This recipe makes more than what Jeff and I will eat for a single breakfast, so we have leftovers. I reheat the leftovers in either the toaster or in the oven at 250F for a few minutes. Since they taste like chocolate cake, I don't mind if they aren't hot. I am ok if they are slightly cool, or just warm.
Follow the instructions for your waffle maker when making these waffles. The amount of batter used varies by manufacturer.
I found this recipe on the Salty Marshmallow site. They looked so good. I altered the original recipe slightly so that it is dairy-free. I used soy milk instead of milk. If you aren't concerned with being dairy-free, you can use milk. The original recipe calls for coffee as an optional ingredient. Jeff and I aren't coffee drinkers, so we don't keep coffee in the house. I have espresso powder that I use in other chocolate recipes, so I made a 1/2 cup of the espresso and used that in the waffles. You can substitute milk, or soy milk, for the coffee.
I hope you enjoy these Chocolate Waffles!
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 jumbo eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups soy milk or the milk of your choice
- 1/2 cup coffee you can use milk, if you prefer
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your waffle iron and prepare it for use per the manufacturer's instructions.
- In a bowl large enough for all of the ingredients, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- Separate the eggs. Place the whites in a bowl to use with your electric mixer. Place the egg yolks in a bowl large enough to hold the wet ingredients. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the egg yolks, milk, vegetable oil, coffee (if using) and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Add the egg yolk mixture to the flour mixture. Stir until thoroughly blended.
- Fold in the egg whites.
- Pour the batter onto your hot waffle iron per the manufacturer's instructions.
- Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve immediately.
Last updated on August 15th, 2019