Chocolate Chip Cookies are my husband's favorite cookie. They have crisp edges and a chewy center. The perfect cookie!
The recipe that I use is the Nestle® Toll House® Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe with some slight modifications. My mother used crunchy peanut butter instead of the optional nuts in the recipe. Adding the peanut butter makes this cookie a peanut butter chocolate chip cookie. The cookies are full of chocolate chips and pieces of peanuts. Delicious! I always use crunchy peanut butter when making chocolate chip cookies.
In order to make the chocolate chip cookies dairy-free, I substitute vegan butter for the butter. Previously, I substituted dairy-free chocolate chips for the semi-sweet chocolate chips. However, I've learned that high-quality bittersweet chocolate usually doesn't include ingredients with casein or milk, which are the ingredients that people with a lactose intolerance should avoid. As a result of the research, I tried using Ghirardelli Bittersweet Chocolate Chips. My husband can enjoy his favorite cookie again! The nutrition information for Ghirardelli Bittersweet Chocolate Chips does NOT state they are lactose-free. So, please do what is best for your dietary needs.
If a lactose-free diet is not a concern for you, you can use butter and the chocolate chips of your choice.
Be sure to let the vegan butter and eggs come to room temperature before adding to the cookie batter. Cold ingredients won't incorporate evenly in the batter and can cause the cookies to be more dense.
I use a cookie scoop to drop the cookie batter onto the cookie sheet because it seems faster and easier than using a tablespoon to drop the batter onto the cookie sheet. If you prefer, you can use a tablespoon. Using a cookie scoop will give you a smoother, flatter cookie on top. Dropping by a tablespoon full will give you a more rounded, slightly bumpy cookie. The cookies are good either way, it's a matter of your preference.
Chocolate Chip Cookies freeze well. I thaw on the counter for a few hours or overnight. Sometimes, I don't wait for them to completely thaw before I start digging into them! Yum!
I hope you enjoy the Chocolate Chip Cookies!
Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegan butter or butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 jumbo eggs
- 2 cups dairy-free chocolate chips
- 1 cup crunchy peanut butter or nuts of your choice
- Remove vegan butter and eggs from the refrigerator and let them come to room temperature before starting the recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Mix together the flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter, vanilla, sugar and brown sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time. Beating well after each addition.
- Gradually add the flour mixture, beating at a low speed after each addition.
- Add the peanut butter and beat until thoroughly mixed.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop cookie batter by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheets or cookie sheets lined with silicone mats. I prefer to use a cookie scoop instead of a tablespoon.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool about two minutes on cookie sheets then carefully move the cookies to a cooling rack. Cool completely.