Chicken with Sage Browned Butter is an easy dish to prepare. The sage browned butter gives the chicken a rich, flavorful taste. This dish is quick and easy to prepare.
In order to keep this a dairy-free dish, I used vegan butter. If you aren't concerned with being dairy-free, you can use butter.
Brown the vegan butter in saucepan while the chicken is cooking in a skillet. If you brown the butter in the skillet after you remove the chicken you will have pan drippings. I prefer the browned butter without the pan drippings. If you don't mind the pan drippings, you can use the skillet to make the browned butter sauce.
When browning the vegan butter, cook it slowly over medium heat in a saucepan. The vegan butter will brown then become a darker color and begin to smell a little nutty. The sauce is spooned over the chicken for serving.
Chicken with Sage Browned Butter goes well served on a bed of seasoned rice. I make seasoned rice by altering my basic Basmati Rice recipe using chicken broth instead of water then adding a teaspoon each of rosemary, thyme and granulated garlic. Jeff really likes the seasoned rice with almost any chicken dish. Add your favorite vegetables on the side and you will have a filling, palate pleasing meal!
I hope you enjoy the Chicken with Sage Browned Butter!
Chicken with Sage Browned Vegan Butter
Chicken and Coating
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
Browned Butter Sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Mix the all-purpose flour, salt, pepper, thyme, sage and garlic in a shallow bowl large enough to coat the chicken. Set aside.
- Pound the chicken to about 1/4-inch thick.
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- Coat the chicken with the flour mixture, shaking off any excess.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and saute for 5-6 minutes on each side or until the chicken is getting a golden color and is done.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet.
- Heat a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the vegan butter to the saucepan.
- Once the vegan butter is melted, add the sage, thyme, onion and garlic.
- Cook for a few minutes or so, until the butter begins to brown. Stir occasionally.
- Add the lemon juice and cook for another 30-60 seconds.
- Remove from heat.
- Spoon one tablespoon of sauce on each chicken breast.