Chicken Vegetable and Quinoa Casserole is a filling meal with lots of vegetables and quinoa. Quinoa adds a little bit of a crunch to your dish.
This baked dish does require you to remove the dish from the oven twice, adding more to the casserole each time.
To make this dish, bring chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan. Whisk the milk, poultry seasoning and flour together then gradually add them to the chicken broth, whisking until smooth. I used Almondmilk, but you can use the milk of your choice.
In a separate bowl, combine water, garlic and quinoa then add them to the chicken broth mixture. Pour the mixture into a prepare casserole dish then top with raw chicken breast strips.
Sprinkle your favorite seasoning on top of the chicken breast strips. One of the spices that I like to use in situations like this is Tastefully Simple Seasoned Salt but you can use your favorite seasoning.
Then, bake the casserole for about 30-minutes. Remove the casserole from the oven, add more water and the vegetables to the casserole, carefully stirring to combine. Return to the oven and bake until the vegetables are heated through.
Again, remove the casserole from the oven then top with the cheese. Return to the oven and bake until the cheese has melted.
I found this recipe on the Pinch of Yum site. I altered the recipe slightly by eliminating the optional bacon, changed the type of cheese used and added more vegetables.
Quinoa is also good served as a side dish. Garlic Quinoa gives you a light, crunchy side dish with a mild garlic flavor.
I hope you enjoy the Chicken Vegetable and Quinoa Casserole.
Chicken Vegetable and Quinoa Casserole
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk You can substitute Almondmilk or other milk alternative.
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1 cup quinoa, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons seasoning Like Tastefully Simple Seasoned Salt or other blend that you prefer.
- 1/2 cup Mexican Blend Cheese, Shredded
- 4 cups vegetables, chopped I use frozen broccoli, carrots and green beans.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Generously spray a 10x13 casserole dish with cooking spray. Quinoa will stick to the dish, so make sure you are generous when spraying with cooking spray.
- Slice the chicken breasts into thin strips. Set aside.
- Place the chicken broth in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a low boil.
- Whisk the milk, poultry seasoning and flour in a small bowl until there are no lumps.
- Gradually add the milk mixture to the boiling chicken broth, whisking well with each addition. Whisk until smooth. Remove from the heat. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine one cup of the water, minced garlic and quinoa.
- Add the sauce to the quinoa mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour the quinoa mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
- Lay the chicken strips on top of the quinoa.
- Sprinkle the seasoning over the chicken strips.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30-minutes.
- Remove the casserole dish from the oven.
- Add the other one-cup of water and vegetables to the casserole dish and carefully stir to combine.
- Return the casserole dish to the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is done, the quinoa has popped open and the vegetables are heated through.
- Remove the casserole dish from the oven and top with the cheese.
- Return the casserole to the oven for 5-minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Serve hot.