Chicken Tacos are a quick and easy meal. Shredded, cooked chicken is blended with boiling water and Taco Seasoning until mixed well and most of the liquid has boiled away. Then, simply, build your tacos using the flavored chicken meat!
The chicken meat that I use in Chicken Tacos, and other dishes that require cooked chicken, comes from the chicken that I use when I make my own Chicken Stock. I use a whole chicken when making chicken stock and once the stock is done, I reserve the cooked chicken meat and freeze it for use later in meals. Frozen cooked chicken makes meals like this even faster to prepare. If you prefer, you could use store-bought cooked chicken meat or cook the chicken fresh.
We like to use shredded chicken because it is easier to bite through. The chicken tends to stay in the taco and not not fall out like when the chicken is cubed.
I use homemade Taco Seasoning, but you could use prepackaged taco seasoning. Follow the instructions of the package, if you use prepackaged taco seasoning.
I like to use a shredded Mexican Blend Cheese. I store it in the freezer so that it lasts longer and I always have cheese on hand. The Mexican Blend Cheese that I use is made from hard cheeses, which can be tolerated by some people with lactose intolerance. If you prefer a dairy-free dish, you can use dairy-free cheese. Please do what is best for your dietary needs.
Chicken Tacos are good with soft flour tortillas or hard taco shells. Both the soft flour tortillas and the hard taco shells can be heated. I heat soft taco shells in the microwave by covering with a damp paper towel and heating for a few seconds. When heating hard taco shells, I heat them in the oven on a baking sheet for a few minutes.
I hope you enjoy the Chicken Tacos!
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 4 soft taco shells
- 1 cup lettuce
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup Mexican Cheese Blend, shredded
- Put the water in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the taco seasoning and stir until mixed well.
- Once boiling, add the chicken and stir until coated with the taco seasoning.
- Continue to cook until the water is almost boiled away.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Build your tacos using soft taco shells, lettuce, chicken, salsa and cheese, or your favorite taco toppings.
Last updated on August 15th, 2019