Chicken Stir Fry is a light and refreshing meal. The flavors are mild. The chicken is tender, the vegetables and cashews are crunchy. This recipe makes more than what Jeff and I will eat for one meal, so we have leftovers. I like to reheat the leftovers in a skillet. I think it helps to keep the vegetables crunchy. I'm sure using a microwave will work, too.
Chicken Stir Fry is quick and easy to prepare. First, make the sauce. Next, slice carrots and celery thinly on an angle. Then, slice raw chicken breasts in thin strips. Sauté the chicken, then add the vegetables. Next, add the cashews. Then, add the sauce. Finally, add a splash of sesame oil.
The dish comes together pretty quickly if you prepare all of the ingredients first, then do the cooking. Celery has strings, so, I like to use a vegetable peeler to remove the strings. I first wash the celery, then cut off a little from the bottom and the leafy portion on top. Then, use a vegetable peeler, starting at the top and running to the bottom to remove the strings. Remove the strings across the back, the green side, of the celery. I also run the vegetable peeler along the side because there are strings there, too.
Jeff is not a fan of celery, but he doesn't mind it in this dish. He won't eat a piece of celery by itself, but pair it with a carrot, piece of chicken or cashew and he'll eat it.
I like this dish served without any sides because it is so full of vegetables and protein. But, if you prefer a side, the only one you need is a portion of basmati rice.
I had some celery that I wanted to use, so I looked for a stir fry recipe. I found this recipe on the RecipeTin Japan site. It looked good, so I thought I'd give it a try. I slightly altered the recipe to use chicken stock instead of chicken stock powder and water.
I hope you enjoy the Chicken Stir Fry!
Chicken Stir Fry
- 2 cups chicken breast, sliced in 2-inch pieces (2 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
- 2 cups celery, sliced diagonally (5-6 celery stalks)
- 2 cups carrots, sliced diagonally (3-4 carrots)
- 1/2 cup cashews, roasted
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 dash salt, or to taste
- 1 dash pepper, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 ounces chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon soy sauce
- Mix the chicken stock, corn starch, red wine vinegar and soy sauce in a small bowl. Set aside.
Chicken Stir Fry
- Slice the chicken into thin two-inch strips. Set aside.
- Thinly slice the carrots and celery diagonally. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add to the skillet. Cook until the chicken is done.
- Add the carrots and celery to the skillet then cook for about two-minutes.
- Add the cashews to the skillet then cook for another minute.
- Stir the sauce to make sure the corn starch is blended with the chicken stock.
- Add the sauce to the skillet then stir quickly to coat the chicken and vegetables. The sauce will thicken quickly.
- Add sesame oil to the skillet. Stir to coat. Serve immediately.