Chicken Salad on Celery Sticks is one of those classic snacks that has been passed down through the generations. Celery can be filled with many different foods, such as peanut butter and various cream cheese mixtures. Peanut butter and chicken salad are the two fillings that I have had most in my lifetime.
Celery is a healthy vegetable to add to your diet. It has antioxidants, helps to reduce inflammation and is rich in vitamins and minerals. This simple chicken salad recipe served on celery makes a healthy snack.
Filled celery makes an easy snack or appetizer. When I make chicken salad to fill celery, I keep the chicken salad somewhat plain in the respect that I don't add anything other than the chicken, mayonnaise and spices. In my opinion, anything that is too large doesn't fit well in or on the celery. So, I shred the chicken so that the pieces are not too large.
There are many different ways to make chicken salad. One chicken salad recipe that I like to make to put on top of a salad or on a sandwich, includes sliced celery, almonds and onions. The chicken is cut up in larger pieces and it includes celery, so it isn't one that I would use on top of celery. 😉
I hope you enjoy the Chicken Salad on Celery Sticks!
Chicken Salad on Celery Sticks
- 2 cups chicken, cooked, shredded
- ¼ cup mayonnaise I prefer Duke's brand.
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon granulated onion
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 stalks celery
- chives, for garnish, optional You can use parsley, too.
- Mix the cooked and shredded chicken, mayonnaise, garlic, onion, salt and pepper together in a bowl.
- Refrigerate the chicken salad for at least four hours or overnight. The refrigeration time allows the flavors to blend. You can skip the refrigeration time, if you prefer.
- Fill each of the half celery stalk with the chicken salad. Each stalk should get 2 - 2 1/2 tablespoons of chicken salad.
- Garnish with chives or parsley, if desired.