Chicken Noodle Casserole is full of noodles, vegetables and chicken. After baking, it is topped with toasted bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. It's comfort food at it's best!
My husband, Jeff, loves pasta dishes, so this is a good meal for him. It also makes a lot, so it is a good dish to make for a crowd. It reheats well, too.
Jeff likes to eat "jelly bread" with dishes like the Chicken Noodle Casserole. He makes "jelly bread" by spreading grape jelly on white bread.
I found this recipe on the Betty Crocker site. I altered the recipe slightly by adding broccoli and corn. My Mom was a Betty Crocker fan.
I have Mom's well-worn Betty Crocker cookbook from the 1950's. Mom bought an updated version of that cookbook for me when I left home. She bought that cookbook for a few people when they went out on their own for the first time. It's a classic cookbook with lots of good recipes.
I hope you enjoy the Chicken Noodle Casserole!
Chicken Noodle Casserole
- 12 ounces uncooked wide egg noodles
- 1/4 cup butter You can use margarine or vegan butter.
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup broccoli, finely chopped
- 1 cup corn
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic You can use 2-3 finely chopped garlic cloves.
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups chicken, cooked and shredded or cubed
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat oven to 350F.
- Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Wash and finely chop the celery, onion, carrots and broccoli. Set aside.
- Cook and drain the egg noodles according to the package direction. Set aside.
- In a small bowl or cup, put 1/2 cup of the chicken broth and the flour. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt 2-tablespoons of the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the celery, onion, carrots, broccoli and garlic to the skillet and cook for 6-7 minutes or until tender.
- Add the remaining chicken broth, corn, the thyme, salt and pepper to the skillet then heat to boiling.
- Stir the chicken broth and flour mixture, then whisk it into the skillet. Simmer and stir for a couple minutes or until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Add the whipping cream and chicken then stir to combine.
- Add the cooked egg noodles and stir to combine. If your skillet isn't large enough, you can mix in the baking dish.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30-35 minutes or until heated through.
- When the casserole is almost done baking, melt the remaining 2-tablespoons of the butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the breadcrumbs to the skillet and cook the breadcrumbs until golden brown. Stir frequently.
- Remove from the heat and add the Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- When the casserole is done baking, remove it from the oven and sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top.
- Serve hot.