Chicken Kiev is a moist and tender chicken breast. Vegan butter, or butter, is combined with chives and garlic then chilled until firm. The vegan butter mixture is then rolled up inside a chicken breast. As the chicken bakes, the butter keeps it moist and adds flavor to it.
This is a recipe that I have made a lot because the chicken is tender and flavorful. I've had the recipe for many years. I don't know where I got it initially. Another rolled chicken recipe that makes a tender and flavorful chicken breast is Chicken Cordon Bleu.
When making this recipe, pound the chicken breast to about 1/4 - 1/2-inch thick so that it will roll more easily for you. After placing the vegan butter mixture in the center of the chicken, roll the chicken like a jelly roll and secure with toothpicks. I prefer to secure with toothpicks before dipping in the egg and breadcrumbs. Some people wait until after coating with the breadcrumbs to secure with toothpicks. I find it easier to keep the chicken rolled up if I secure it before dipping in the egg and breadcrumbs. You can secure with toothpicks when it is best for you.
I use seasoned bread crumbs for dipping the chicken, but you can use plain and season them with your favorite spices. Panko bread crumbs make a crunchy coating for Chicken Kiev. If you like a crunchy coating, you can use corn flakes, too. I have a chicken tenders recipe that uses corn flakes and almonds to crust the chicken. It gives the chicken a crunchy crust.
After coating the chicken, place it, seam side down, in a prepared baking dish then bake in a preheated oven. Let the chicken rest 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.
I hope you enjoy Chicken Kiev!
- 1/4 cup vegan butter or butter
- 1 tablespoon chives I use dried chives.
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic or one garlic clove
- 1 1/2 cups seasoned breadcrumbs or plain bread crumbs with 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 jumbo egg
- In a small microwavable bowl, melt the butter.
- Add the chives and garlic. Stir to combine.
- Cover and freeze until firm. Freezing should take about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Lightly spray a 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place each chicken breast in a plastic bag, then flatten with the flat side of a mallet. Set aside.
- Place the egg in a shallow bowl that is large enough to dip the chicken. Beat the egg. Set aside.
- Place the breadcrumbs in a bowl that is large enough to dip the chicken. Set aside.
- Place a chicken breast on a cutting board or large plate.
- Divide the butter mixture into fourths.
- Place one fourth of the butter mixture on top of the chicken breast.
- Roll up the chicken from a long side and tuck the ends under. Secure with toothpicks.
- Dip the chicken in the egg then in the breadcrumbs. Place the chicken in a prepared casserole dish seam side down.
- Repeat with the remaining pieces of chicken.
- Bake in a prepared oven for 35-40 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Discard toothpicks.