Chicken Crust Pizza is a tasty alternative to traditional pizza crusts. When I first saw recipes for this, it sounded interesting but I didn't have much hope that it would really be a good alternative to traditional pizza dough. I was pleasantly surprised!
The pizza crust is made with ground chicken, Parmesan Cheese, Mozzarella Cheese and some spices. The cheese and spices give this crust lots of flavor. The mixture can be spread on a pizza pan or any edged baking pan. I have made this recipe on both a round pizza pan and rectangular edged baking pans.
The crust is baked then removed from the oven, topped with sauce, cheese and your favorite toppings then baked again. The crust does shrink a little during baking. When I bake the crust, I see liquid around the edge during baking. I think the liquid comes from the mozzarella cheese. The liquid absorbs once the pizza rests for a few minutes after baking. I was concerned that the crust would be soggy, but it didn't get soggy.
When I first made this pizza, I made it with sauce and cheese, no additional toppings. Jeff has been wanting a sausage pizza, so I made the pizza with sausage topping. Yum!
The crust stays firm, but not firm enough to pick up and hold a slice like you would with a traditional pizza. You'll need a knife and fork.
This pizza is low-carb, so, if you want a lower carb pizza, this recipe is for you!
This pizza is quite filling. We don't eat as much of the Chicken Crust Pizza as we do traditional pizza. The pizza reheats well in the microwave.
I hope you enjoy the Chicken Crust Pizza!
Chicken Crust Pizza
- 1 pound ground chicken, raw
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 ½ teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup marinara sauce
- ¾ cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3 ounces plain ground sausage, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Lightly spray a 14-inch pizza plate or a rimmed baking pan with cooking spray. Use a dish that has sides or a slope so that any liquid that forms during baking will not drip onto the bottom of your oven. Set the plate or pan aside.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix together all of the ingredients for the crust. Shape into a ball.
- Place the ball on your pizza plate then gently press it to fill your pizza plate. No need to form a raised edge like a traditional pizza. If you are using a square or rectangular pan, press the crust on your pan to about 1/4-inch thick. You can form the crust into whatever shape you like, such as a circle, square or rectangle.
- Bake the crust in a preheated oven for about 20-minutes. During baking, some liquid might form around the pizza. The crust will also shrink a little during baking.
- Remove the crust from the oven then spread the marinara sauce over the pizza. The marinara sauce will lightly coat the crust.
- Next, sprinkle the mozzarella over the crust.
- Then, spread the sausage over the cheese.
- Return the chicken crust pizza to the oven then bake another 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven and let rest 5-10 minutes before cutting.