Chia Energy Bars are a quick and easy snack bar to make. They are a soft snack bar that can boost your energy level.
The softness of these bars reminds me a little of Applesauce Oatmeal Breakfast Bars. I find that both bars are filling and give me a little boost of energy. The Chia Energy Bars are a healthy choice. The Applesauce Oatmeal Bars are more of a breakfast treat, or even a dessert, than a healthy snack bar.
I ran across these bars on the King Arthur Flour site. I'm finding lots of interesting recipes on the King Arthur site!
These bars include cooked quinoa. Let the quinoa cool before adding it to the bars. I used Bob's Red Mill Quinoa Grain. I also used Bob's Red Mill Chia Seeds and Bob's Red Mill Flaxseed Meal. I like the products that Bob's Red Mill offers.
When I make these bars, I pack one in Jeff's lunch bag so that he has a healthy afternoon snack. He was excited about these Chia Energy Bars because he loves quinoa.
I hope you enjoy the Chia Energy Bars!
Chia Energy Bars
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa, cooled
- 1/4 cup whole flax meal
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/2 cup dried fruit, nuts or mini-chocolate chips I use slivered almonds or mini-chocolate chips, or a combination of the two.
- 1 jumbo egg white
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Lightly spray an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together the oats, cooked and cooled quinoa, flax meal, chia seeds, nuts and the egg white until thoroughly combined.
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, stir together the honey, peanut butter, salt and cinnamon until thoroughly combined and the mixture is fluid enough to pour. Do not boil, just let it get warm enough to pour.
- Pour the peanut butter mixture over the oat mixture and stir until everything is coated.
- Press the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the oats around the edges are starting to turn golden brown.
- Let cool completely before cutting into squares and serving.
- Store in an airtight container.