Cheesy Breadsticks are an easy to make appetizer, side dish or snack. Pizza dough is topped with butter, garlic and Italian Seasoning, then covered with mozzarella cheese and baked. Serve the Cheesy Breadsticks with your favorite dipping sauce or enjoy them plain.
Jeff likes to smother the Cheesy Breadsticks in marinara sauce. I like them either plain or with just a hint of marinara sauce.
These breadsticks make a tasty appetizer served with pizza. They go great served as a side with spaghetti or other tomato-based pasta dishes. They make a filling snack, too. To me, these Cheesy Breadsticks are similar to a white pizza, so they can be served as the entree with a salad on the side. So versatile! Wouldn't they be good served at a Super Bowl party or other festive gathering, too?
You can make your own pizza dough, or purchase pre-made pizza dough. Roll the pizza dough into a 9x13-inch rectangle. The dough may pull back a little as you form it into a rectangle. It is ok if the dough doesn't form a perfect rectangle. The dough should be about 1/4-inch thick when rolled out. It will rise during baking.
I use granulated garlic and Italian Seasoning in melted butter to season the breadsticks. You can alter the seasonings to your taste.
I purchase shredded mozzarella cheese and use that to sprinkle over the breadsticks. You can alter the type of cheese or cheeses used on the breadsticks. Parmesan Cheese sprinkled on top of the mozzarella is yummy!
After baking, I cut the Cheesey Breadsticks into 10-sticks about 9-inches long, then I cut the sticks in half so that I end up with 20-sticks.
Jeff and I always have leftovers, so I refrigerate the leftovers, then heat them in the oven at 350F for 5-10 minutes, or until they are warmed up.
I hope you enjoy the Cheesy Breadsticks!
- 1/2 pound pizza dough You can use store bought pizza dough or make your own, https://blizardinthekitchen.com/pizza-dough/.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- Prepare the pizza dough, https://blizardinthekitchen.com/pizza-dough/, through step six.
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Lightly spray a baking sheet with cooking spray or place a silicone mat on a baking sheet.
- Lightly spray a rolling pin with cooking spray then roll the pizza dough out to a 9x13 inch rectangle on the prepared baking sheet.
- Melt the butter in a small bowl in the microwave. Alternatively, you can melt the butter in a small pan on the stove top.
- Add the garlic and Italian Seasoning to the butter.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the butter mixture over the pizza dough.
- Evenly cover the dough with the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.
- Slice into breadsticks then serve plain or with your favorite dipping sauce. I slice the breadsticks into ten long sticks then slice those sticks in half, so that I end up with 20 breadsticks.
- Store leftover breadsticks in a sealed container then reheat in the oven.