The Carrot & Pineapple Salad is a refreshing side dish to have with almost any meal - especially when the weather is warm. The carrots and walnuts give a nice crunch, while the honey and pineapple add sweetness. The colors are vibrant, so it is pleasing to the eye and adds color to your table. You can garnish it with extra walnuts and a small scoop of crushed pineapple.
This salad is quick to make. You drain the crushed pineapple. Then, shred the carrots and add the honey, mayo, pineapple and nuts. You're done!
I use a Boxed Grater to shred the carrots. It doesn't take too long to shred enough carrots to make four cups. Depending on the size of your carrots, you may need 6-10 carrots.
I use English Walnuts in this salad because I prefer the milder taste of an English Walnut over the bolder, earthier flavor of a Black Walnut. Using a small food processor to chop the walnuts makes the chopping a little faster and easier. Then, toasting the nuts in the oven will bring out the flavor of the nuts.
The Carrot & Pineapple Salad keeps well. If I make this salad for just my husband and me, it will last a few dinners and lunches. I can eat this salad by itself! Some of this salad makes a yummy lunch for me!
I've seen some carrot salads include raisins. I didn't include raisins in my salad because my family doesn't like raisins in dishes. You can add raisins, if you would like additional sweetness. I have seen this dish with coconut and/or mandarin oranges, so if you like coconut, you could throw a little bit of coconut in the salad. Or, mandarin oranges. The salad will have a more tropical taste.
I hope you enjoy!
Carrot & Pineapple Salad
- 4 cups carrots, shredded
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 cups pineapple. crushed
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted, chopped See my Toasted Walnuts Post for instructions on toasting nuts.
- Drain the crushed pineapple.
- Put the shredded carrots in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the honey to the carrots and stir to coat carrots.
- Add the mayonnaise to the mixing bowl and stir to coat carrots.
- Add the crushed pineapple and stir to mix ingredients.
- Add the toasted, chopped walnuts and stir to mix ingredients.
- Put the mixture in a serving bowl and enjoy.