Buckeyes are a delicious peanut butter and chocolate candy. They look like chestnuts. Peanut butter is blended with vegan butter, powdered sugar and crushed graham crackers then formed into one-inch balls and dipped 3/4 of the way into chocolate. Peanut Butter and Chocolate is a favorite of many.
Mom's original recipe called for butter. In order to make this a dairy-free dessert, I use vegan butter. You can substitute butter or margarine if you prefer. I use Merckens Dark Chocolate to dip the Buckeyes. You can use your preferred chocolate.
Because of the vegan butter, or butter, in the recipe, it is best to store Buckeyes in the refrigerator. They freeze well, so you can make them and freeze them until you need them.
I use Honey Maid Honey Grahams®. Make sure that the graham crackers are finely crushed. Any small pieces of graham cracker will be noticeable in your Buckeyes.
I recommend using your hands to mix the Buckeyes. They seem to be smoother and creamier when mixed by hand. You can also feel if they are a little dry. If they are dry, you can add a little more peanut butter or vegan butter. If you think they are too moist, then add a little more graham crackers or powdered sugar.
I think my Mom got this recipe from her neighbor when I was a child. We always made them as gifts for Christmas and Easter. The recipe makes about 90 Buckeyes, so it makes plenty to share. They are a crowd pleasing dessert at a party. When we made Buckeyes as gifts, we usually made Peanut Butter Balls, too. They are a similar dessert. Buckeyes are made with graham crackers and Peanut Butter Balls with Rice Krispies®.
My Mom usually kept Buckeyes in her refrigerator or freezer. She liked to have a treat or two made at all times so that she could offer to family, friends and neighbors who stopped by for a visit. They are a favorite of my husband's. He knew where to find them when he visited Mom.
I hope you enjoy Buckeyes!
- 1 cup vegan butter You can use butter or margarine.
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 cups graham crackers, finely crushed
- 2 cups peanut butter I use creamy peanut butter but you can use chunky.
- 2 cups chocolate, melted I use Ghirardelli Bittersweet Chocolate but you can use your preferred chocolate.
- Soften the vegan butter.
- Using your hands, mix the vegan butter, powdered sugar, crushed graham crackers and peanut butter. Mix until thoroughly and evenly blended.
- Using a large cookie scoop, scoop peanut butter balls onto wax paper. Then roll each scoop of peanut butter into a round ball about an inch in diameter. If you don't have a cookie scoop, you can use a spoon or your fingers to get some of the peanut butter mixture.
- Chill for about 30 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl. I usually melt one cup at a time because it tends to start to thicken about halfway through dipping.
- Insert a toothpick in the center of a peanut butter ball. Dip the peanut butter ball about 3/4 of the way into the chocolate. Lift the peanut butter ball out of the chocolate and turn sideways and allow excess chocolate to drip off. Place the ball on a wax paper lined baking sheet.
- Once all of the the buckeyes are dipped into chocolate, use your fingers to lightly pinch and smooth the peanut butter to cover the hole made by the toothpick.
- Chill the buckeyes for about 30-minutes.
- Remove from the wax paper and store in covered containers in the refrigerator or freezer.