Mom's Beef Roast recipe produces a moist and tender roast. It's easy to make and doesn't take much effort. It does take some time and patience. Mom prepared her roast on the stove top in a heavy bottomed pot. She marinated the roast in a little bit of soy sauce overnight, then cooked it on the stove for several hours until it was tender. So good!
A roast will be cooked-through before it becomes tender. Just because the roast is no longer pink doesn't mean that it is done. It mostly likely will not be tender until after several hours of cooking. So, continue to let the roast cook until it is tender. I usually plan on about six hours, but it depends on the size of your roast.
Over the years, I used an electric slow cooker to prepare many beef roasts. Electric slow cookers are handy because you can leave them unattended. It always has, and still does, make me uncomfortable leaving appliances on while I am not home. I only use an electric slow cooker on days I will be home.
I usually include carrots, onions and potatoes with the beef roast when cooking in an electric slow cooker. They flavor the roast and provide side dishes. This cooking method makes the vegetables too soft for my liking. My husband prefers mashed potatoes and gravy when we have a beef roast, so using the potatoes and carrots as a side dish wasn't too appealing for him either. In addition to the mashed potatoes and gravy, I usually serve Glazed Carrots, Applesauce and some type of bread, like my Grandmother's Potato Rolls or my Great-Grandmothers Sweet Rolls with a roast.
Mom's stove top roasts were always more tender than my slow cooker roasts. So, I now cook my roasts on the stove top and my roasts are just as tender as hers. Mom always used a boneless chuck roast. I experimented with a variety of different roasts both in the electric slow cooker and on the stove top. I prefer the chuck roast cooked on the stove top.
Before cooking the roast, I sprinkle granulated garlic, granulated onion, salt and pepper on top of the beef roast. I've also experimented with Italian Seasoning, oregano and basil. The flavors are delicious. You can experiment with your favorite spices.
The broth that the cooking process produces is a very flavor-rich broth good for making gravy or stews. I freeze any leftover broth for use later and label it so that I know the broth came from cooking of a beef roast as opposed to making beef stock from bones and vegetables. The beef roast broth is usually thicker and may include bits of beef. Stock usually is thinner and does not include bits of beef. It depends on what I am cooking whether I prefer to use the broth or stock.
I usually purchase a roast that is larger than what I think will be eaten so that I can freeze leftovers. Leftover beef roast makes a quick meal. I freeze the leftover beef roast in two-portion servings for my husband and me. Be sure to add a little of the broth with the cooked beef roast before freezing so that it has liquid to keep it moist and tender when reheating later.
I hope you enjoy Mom's Beef Roast recipe.
- 6 pound chuck roast I use boneless, but bone-in is ok
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 12 cups water Use more or less water, depending on the size of your pot.
- Marinate the chuck roast in soy sauce overnight. Put the chuck roast and soy sauce in a large bag then tie the bag tightly around the roast. I put the bag in a large bowl, just in case of leakage. Store in the refrigerator overnight.
- Remove the roast from the bag then place it in a large pot.
- Sprinkle the garlic, onion, pepper and salt on the roast.
- Add water to the pot so that the roast is covered.
- Bring to a slow boil, then turn down to medium-low.
- Cover and let simmer for about six hours. Check it every so often. You can taste after a couple of hours to see if the flavors are to your liking. Add additional spices, as needed. The meat will be done, but it won't be tender yet.
- Once the roast is tender and falling apart, remove from the liquid and serve.
- You can use the beef broth to make gravy or store for later use.