Baked Chickpea Snack is a healthy, crunchy snack. I love potato chips and wanted something crunchy like potato chips but healthier. I'm happy with this crunchy alternative.
The first time I made them, I was concerned they were over-baking, so I removed them from the oven at 45 minutes. Most chickpeas were crunchy but a handful were still a little soft inside. The next time, I left them in the oven 60 minutes and all were crunchy. Some crunchier than others, but not overly crunchy.
This snack is great to serve as an alternative to potato chips at a party, or to pack in a lunch or take to work as a mid-afternoon snack.
The baked chickpeas will get soft if stored in a plastic container. I make small batches that last 1-2 days. I store them in a glass container with a paper towel wrapped around it. I've read that others store their chickpeas in parchment paper bags.
I like the spice blend of cumin, curry and coriander. To mix things up a bit, I've tried a few other spice blends. If you experiment with spice blends, I recommended that the spices you use are powdered and are not leafy. The spices are added after baking, so leafy spices will end up as a dried leaf coating on your chickpeas.
One alternative spice blend that I tried and really like is 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. This spice blend has a little bit of a bite.
Another alternate spice blend that I like is 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt. This spice blend is sweet, more like a crunchy dessert.
I hope you enjoy the Baked Chickpeas!
Baked Chickpeas Snack
- 15 ounces chickpeas, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Drain the chickpeas then pat dry.
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or lightly spray it with cooking spray.
- Put the chickpeas on the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for 60 minutes, or until golden brown and crunchy. After the chickpeas have been in the oven 30 minutes, check them and shake them about every 5-10 minutes.
- After removing the chickpeas from the oven, and while they are still hot, lightly spray with cooking spray and toss to coat the chickpeas with oil.
- Add the hot chickpeas to the spice mixture and stir to coat the chickpeas with the spices.
- The oil will soften the chickpeas a little, so after they are coated in the spices, I put them back on the cookie sheet, in a single layer and then back in the oven for about 5-10 more minutes. You can turn the oven off, the heat in the oven will dry the chickpeas.
- Cool to room temperature before eating.