Apple Grape Salad is a light, refreshing salad. It's full of apples, grapes, celery and walnuts. It makes a delicious appetizer, salad or dessert. It's good to serve at a party. If there are any leftovers, they make a nice lunch.
This salad is similar to a Waldorf salad. A Waldorf salad uses a mayonnaise dressing. The Apple Grape Salad uses a vanilla glaze. Delicious!
The Apple Grape Salad does take a good bit of peeling and chopping, but it is worth it. In order to keep the apples from turning brown before they are coated with the vanilla glaze, I put them in a lemon juice and water mixture.
This recipe is a dairy-free version. If you are not concerned with being dairy-free, you can replace the vegan butter with butter.
I hope you enjoy!
Apple Grape Salad
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 1 teaspoon vegan butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 cups cubed apples I prefer granny smith
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 3 cups red grapes, seedless, halved
- 1 1/2 cups walnut, halves
Soak for Apples
- 6-8 cups cold water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Prepare Vanilla Glaze
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar and flour.
- Add the cold water and whisk until smooth.
- Bring to a boil for a few minutes, stirring frequently. The mixture will become thick and bubbly.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vegan butter and vanilla extract.
- Cool to room temperature.
- While the glaze is cooling, wash, peel and cube the apples. You can put the apples in a lemon juice and water mixture so that the apples don't brown. Set aside.
- Wash the grapes then slice in half. Set aside.
- Wash the celery then dice. Set aside.
- Measure the walnuts and set aside.
- Once the Vanilla Glaze is cool, mix the apples, grapes, celery and walnuts in a large bowl.
- Pour the Vanilla Glaze over the apple mixture and stir to combine.
- Refrigerate until you are ready to serve.